Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dragonrescue

Off The Beaten Path

10 posts in this topic

There has been a lot of negative threads going on lately (nature of the beast), so I thought I would share what I think, is a funny story from "back in the day". My dad, who is quite the character, retired from the FDNY in 1989. He spent his whole career in the Gravesend Neck/Midwood section of Brooklyn, where he lived most of his life. He was assigned to E-254, quarted with L-153 (Avenue U Watchdogs) for 22 years, then finished out his career as the Chief's Aide for the 33 Batt. and drove Ret. Chief Frank Carino (another character). They were fondly known throughout Brooklyn as the "Scream Team", because of their loud and jokingly demeanor. Ball breaking constantly took place in the fire house between the engine guys & the truck guys. The engine guys were called "speed bumps in the hallway" and my dad would always call the truck guys, "big dumb truckieeeeeee". One day, my dad was detailed to the truck and was assigned the "roof man" position for the tour. They responded to an odor of smoke at a 6 story multiple dwelling. As they were doing the investigation, my dad made his way to the roof and took a look around. Nothing out of the ordinary was found, except he noticed some white smoke coming from the chimney from the house next door. Being new at this position, he didn't want to make himself look like an a**, but felt he needed to tell the officer about the white smoke. Here is the radio transmittion that took place:

• L-153 roof to L-153 officer!
  • Go roof!
  • All clear up hear cap, but there is some white smoke coming from the chimney of the house on the exposure 2 side!
  • OK Tony, come on down. I guess you didn't hear the news. They just elected a new Pope. It's back to being a "speed bump" for you.

4 other radio transmittions followed with: "Big Dumb Truckieeeeeeeeee"!

There is nothing like some good old fashioned ball breaking..............

Edited by dragonrescue

Gee, you mean people were allowed to have a sense of humour way back then???????? smile.gif

Edited by Mark Z

Ret. Chief Frank Carino

Is his son on the job. FF in Eng. 53 Lt. in E 39? It's good to get off the beaten path every once in a while.

Non-fire related, but I've always liked this story of an ammusing radio transmission:

http://www.fromtheinside.us/thinking/Groundspeed_Check.htm

Precious!

Also not fire related, but the two guys on the radios were a pair of Millwood VFC Chief's working their day gig at New Castle Highway Department.... Big snow storm and a bunch of us at at the firehouse on standby listening to Fire/Police/DPW traffic on the air.

Highway Eight: "Highway Eight to base"

Base: "Highway Eight"

Highway Eight: "I'm going to need assistance at Seven Bridges and Quaker"

Base: "10-4 what seems to be the problem"

Highway Eight: "The truck won't move. I can't get the clutch to come up off the floor"

Base: "Highway Eight, try lifting your foot off of it"

Ton's of laughter followed across the air....

One other was from my college days...

Gettysburg, PA Box 1-8 Structure Fire

Quint, Truck, Two Engines already out the door and the radio traffic is pretty congested when the Rescue signs on.

Rescue 1: "Rescue 1 to Adams County"

Adams County: "Rescue 1"

Rescue 1: We're responding

Adams County: "10-4 Rescue 1, switch to Fire 4"

Lots of Fire Ground Radio Traffic

Rescue 1: "Adams can you give us an updated address and cross street"

Adams County: (Sounding very put out) "Rescue 1 make a left out of the fire station and head east on RT30 a few miles, it'll be the house on fire with all the yellow fire engines in front of it"

Edited by mfc2257

Is his son on the job. FF in Eng. 53 Lt. in E 39? It's good to get off the beaten path every once in a while.

I believe that is his nephew in Manhattan.....This may be short lived, because somehow someway we always end up back on the beaten path....

Stay safe

Good shares!

At work, we have definitely heard (and possibly said) our share of humorous transmissions. One that I always laugh at involved a certain department north of mine a few years ago.

"Engine 1**" on location, establishing Command."

"Received E1**, on location with the command at **** hours."

"Car 2*** on location, I'll be establishing command."

"Car 2*** on location, now establishing Command at **** hours."

"Car 2*** on location."

"Car 2*** on location, Chief will you now be assuming command as well?"

"(Laughing) That's affirmative, Control."

No specific call, but many times I have heard a unit ask "Can I get that address again?" The reply, "It will be the house with the cop car, Fire Engine and Ambulance on the scene."

And of course, nothing beats the "We're totally out of control at this time" transmission at a fire a few months ago. I was home listening and had to ask people if that's what I heard.

If you don't have a sense of humor, you're far too uptight. Life requires a little laughter once in a while...

Try this one a few weeks ago...

Dispatch: Medic 60, La Cienega Response, Unknown Medical, Sheriffs Office on scene

Medic 60 Responding

Dispatch: Medic 60 Be advised, Male is reporting that his P**** Has been removed by wife

Medic 60: Uhh, Copy that dispatch.

Dispatch: Would you like a second page medic 60?

Medic 60: Uhh, No.

Disptach: Copy Medic 60

Medic 60: Medic Sixty on Scene, One adult male, Lacerations and Cuts to Genital area, Please advice St. Vincent's.

Probably the most off the beaten path i've seen, except for the volunteer departments that call for back up because of apparatus problems, i.e. No gas.

"Fire Deparrrtment"..

"THERE'S A BAT IN MY HOUSE!"

"Ma'aam...is the bat on fire?"

"NO!"

"You've got the wrong number ma'am..."