Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt326

When is enough going to be enough?

14 posts in this topic

I need to rant a bit.

After reading this thread I am just frustrated at how the United States Government has turned its back on the 9/11 first responders. I think it's disgusting that Congress is allowing first responders to die because of their inaction. Thousands of men and women worked countless hours on the pile and this is how they get repaid? How many more people have to die before we can get this bill passed?

What happens when its a nuclear or biological attack next? Are we going to have to sit and wait and watch more people die? It's truly disheartening.

Remember585 likes this

I need to rant a bit.

After reading this thread I am just frustrated at how the United States Government has turned its back on the 9/11 first responders. I think it's disgusting that Congress is allowing first responders to die because of their inaction. Thousands of men and women worked countless hours on the pile and this is how they get repaid? How many more people have to die before we can get this bill passed?

What happens when its a nuclear or biological attack next? Are we going to have to sit and wait and watch more people die? It's truly disheartening.

Your frustration is shared by many. It is funny how this government can piss away billions to banks, corporations, and other countries in need but when it comes to taking care of those who are willing to do what most people can't or won't do the well always seems to be dry. All I can say is rememeber those at election time.

Remember585 likes this

The auto industry received faster action then the men and women that worked at the WTC site post 9/11. Our tax dollars should be spent on our people, our safety and our future. The working man (and woman) contributes tax money every payday to fund our politicans' interests which generally don't reflect the concerns of those paying into it.

I predict a civil war of some form within the next 10 years. Illegal aliens, foreign countries and other douchebags continue to benefit from our hard work. Like you said, enough is enough... and that time has already come!

nycemt326 likes this

We are only in the minds of the politicians when its an election year. Boy don't they love their photo ops with America's heroes, but when actions need to be made we are dead last on the list of priorities. It was just last year when NYS finally decided to give volunteers a tax break, a meager one at that. Need to balance a budget? Layoff firefighters, medics/techs, and police officers.

Remember585, your exactly right. The auto industry, AIG, and all these other corporations made out like bandits. It's almost been a decade and the bean counters in NYC, NYS, and Congress have most certainty forgotten. Scumbags.

we must also not forget that our government had the brilliant idea of wanting to bail out other countries (i believe in europe, not 100% sure). but it's very disappointing that us as emergency service providers know that if we respond to a disaster (like 9/11) where thousands of people trying to help get sick, we know we will not get proper care that we need because out government it too worried about helping banks and the auto industry and they don't care about us trying to lend a hand.

It's not going to be enough. The majority of politicians don't really give a damn about us, or our health problems. When someone dies from a WTC related illness, the powers that be will hoot and holler and pay whoever they can to try and prove it was a pre-existing illness, or condition. Or, that someones own actions lent itself to them dying. What about the people who live with not only the physical scars, but mental and emotional ones??

I had a small part in that day, but the nightmares and other emotional hits I took stayed with me for years. Luckily the nightmares have stopped. But what about the one guy who one day flips out?? And I mean really flips out. Violent, etc. Who's going to be to blame?? Is it the government who didn't step in to offer that person more counseling, or medication, than the city was willing to give?? Or, will people take the easy way and blame the aggressor??

After Sept. 11th, members of the FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD were like celebrities. Now, you got people on You Tube posting clips of fire companies going down a street with very little traffic at 8:30 on a Sunday Morning with lights and sirens. And they are complaining. There aren't many in positions of power who really care about us. Our friends, families, and the occasional grateful civilians do. Maybe if Heaven forbid, when the next one hits, and it's a relative of a politician who happens to be on the job that's affected, maybe then the wheels will start turning.

This is what happens to someone after 13 years and numerous negatives hitting in a very short time, which makes that someone very angry and bitter as to what his job has turned into.

Lets hope that all of us in here remember this come election time.

It's a pipe dream. We're outnumbered by idiots!!!

FD7807 likes this

Unfortunately the decisions are made by the politicians. That's how this country has been setup, their the "voice of the people" they represent us. If we keep them in office every term they believe their doing a fine job. Our membership needs to stick together and put pressure on these representatives. Obviously the system isn't looking out for us and other groups (big business, illegals, etc.) are getting taking advantage. My question to anyone is what are you doing about it. How many attend FASNY Legislative Conferences in Albany or even closer Montrose when Local officials talk about the scorecards for the year. It's the same 75 people attending these conferences year in year out. To vent here on Bravo doesn't get your message to the gov't officials. Do something about. Waiting around for it to happen isn't working for us.

It's a pipe dream. We're outnumbered by idiots!!!

Truer words were never spoken

It's not going to be enough. The majority of politicians don't really give a damn about us, or our health problems. When someone dies from a WTC related illness, the powers that be will hoot and holler and pay whoever they can to try and prove it was a pre-existing illness, or condition. Or, that someones own actions lent itself to them dying. What about the people who live with not only the physical scars, but mental and emotional ones??

I had a small part in that day, but the nightmares and other emotional hits I took stayed with me for years. Luckily the nightmares have stopped. But what about the one guy who one day flips out?? And I mean really flips out. Violent, etc. Who's going to be to blame?? Is it the government who didn't step in to offer that person more counseling, or medication, than the city was willing to give?? Or, will people take the easy way and blame the aggressor??

After Sept. 11th, members of the FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD were like celebrities. Now, you got people on You Tube posting clips of fire companies going down a street with very little traffic at 8:30 on a Sunday Morning with lights and sirens. And they are complaining. There aren't many in positions of power who really care about us. Our friends, families, and the occasional grateful civilians do. Maybe if Heaven forbid, when the next one hits, and it's a relative of a politician who happens to be on the job that's affected, maybe then the wheels will start turning.

This is what happens to someone after 13 years and numerous negatives hitting in a very short time, which makes that someone very angry and bitter as to what his job has turned into.

Your post is all very true. Not only do most of the 'elected officials' not care about us, the mayor of N.Y.C. in cooperation with his buddy Ruppert Murdock over at the N.Y. Post have gone out of their way to report anything that remotely can be considered to be a negative about Firefighters or law enforcement people. The mayor's goal is to erase the way Americans (and especially N.Y.'ers)looked upon their first responders in the wake of September 11th (He wants it to go 'from Heroes to Zeroes'. Then he will meet less resistance when he makes dangerous cuts in emergency services. Those of us whose careers were cut short and now face an uncertain future have basically been 'kicked to the curb' by the wealthy politicians who call the shots. Let's also remember that in addition to all of those who gave their lives on that terrible morning (and their families and friends), our families have been suffering from the '9/11 fallout' ever since also.

They suffer the emotional fallout while you suffer the physical side. Nothing will be done until it's someone of privilege or power who is affected.

The city might as well put a gun to these guys heads and pull the trigger. City to Cut Mental Health Program for WTC Responders.

Jaytl42, you bring up an excellent point. What are we gonna do about it besides rant on this board? I am already starting a letter to my state and city council representative. What is going to be next? Have the victim's families return the money they received for the state and fed gov?

Enough won't be enough, sadly, until people like us take a stand and remove our current crop of politicians from office. They simply do not care, but make the appearance that they do so that they can garner enough votes to assume office and then subsequently live off some lobbyist's dime. For a good year after 9/11, everyone flew the flag and uttered the words "never forget." But as we've gone forward, it's far too evident both in politics and in society that we as a people really have forgotten; all the flags are neatly tucked away and now we're slowly turning our backs on the people who need us today the way we needed them years ago. Frankly, it's a sin. Where are all the people who made impassioned speeches about how the nation will heal together as one? Where are all the politicians who said that they'd fight for every 9/11 responder who developed long-lasting effects from the conditions at ground zero? Oh yeah, that's right, they're too busy taking vacations on Memorial Day, skipping the wreath-laying at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, and generally forgetting that it's people like us who put them where they are today. So let us "never forget" and remember this on Election Day for the next however many years it takes to change our elected officials.