Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Ladder

20 posts in this topic

My department is starting to spec to get a new ladder and i would like to know some people opions about different trucks.

The truck needs to be a Quint and has to have at least 100 ft ladder on it.

Assess the needs of your own district - don't get something everyone else has just to be "cool."

I am not too familiar with Ardsley, but seeing how you have had that Quint for so long, I would lean towards something similar to NWPFD Ladder 47. I am sure it is close to what you need. Another quint that would probably meet your needs is either of the Lake Mohegan Ladder trucks. If it's a tower-ladder you are looking for, I like Peekskill's TL45 or our own TL44.

And do the right thing - get an on-board PTO generator. My preference is hydraulic, but diesels work well too.

Good luck with your endeavor, by the way, where the hell are you going to put this rig?!

I would like to go with what NWPFD has but we need to get a 100 ft ladder and as for a tower ladder no way we have a bunch of towers around such as dobbs, elmsford, harstdale

Thanks for your insight

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> FINALLY!!! Someone realizes that there are enough buckets around to cover all of Westchester County. Kudos to you guys!

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/produc...cts/aerials.asp(Aerial Page)

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/default.asp(Main Page)

Interesting look - can imagine it would take some getting used to.

But, after looking into the Star series chassis design, and the "Signature Features" I was pretty impressed. These guys ould possibly become the next big thing.

Do any manufacturers' make a 100' SINGLE axle vehicle?

That's a good question. I don't think I've ever seen one. I'm sure that if there aren't any, it would be because of weight restrictions for single axle vehicles. I'm going to search a few websites to see what I can find

Well - after searching every fire apparatus web site i could, my search tuned up negative - I found a Sutphen 75' TL with a single rear axle, which was interesting, but every 100' stick or platform that I saw had a double rear axle. Check the thread on Web Sites Worth Visiting for links to all the fire apparatus manufactuer web sites that I found.

I found a Metz 100' single axle. I am unsure of Metz performance, but they supposedly are insanely versatile. If anyone has any more info, maybe a new thread can be started.

In looking at the photos, the Metz aerial does not look like it has much, or any ground ladder storage area, especially in the quint model. Is this, in fact, true? If anyone is with Spring Valley FD, or knows anyone involved with them, I would like to know how they like theirs, as I believe they are the only west/rock/put dept that has one.

Ladder 46 from BACKDRAFT LOL

That was a MACK

Boston use to run 100' sticks on single axle E- One chassis. Im not sure if they still make them. I also know for the past few years that Boston has been buying Pierce engines and trucks, so I'm thinking they didnt have good luck with the E-Ones.

Seagrave made the most popular single axle 100 footers of all time. Briarcliff (catch it before it's gone) has one of the few left that are in the area. My suggestion is to call Seagrave and a few of the other popular rear mount manufacturers and see what they can work with. At times, they are able to build apparatus that the don't show on their web site simply because it's not popular.

On the flip side though, most rigs that came single axle and 100ft were not quints they were true trucks. Once you pile all your hose, water, pump, and non-truck (read: Engine) equipment onto a 100ft chassis, you end up with too much weight for a single axle. Ladder 42 in Ossining is an E-One 110footer on a single axle, but again it's a true truck and 15 years old. Ladder 41 is a new KME that's a tandem axle.

Also... Remember even though the single rear gives you a little better manuverability, the tandem axle gives you another set of brakes.

Food for thought.

WOW thanks for all the info guys.

mstrang1 we can not get a single axel because of the weight that we need to carry on the truck such as the pump and all the water

Their are 3 companies that i would like to use Seagrave, AFL, and Pierce

I think the Crimson Aerials are pretty sweet........the kinda look the the General/Rosenbaur that Cleveland Ohio just got. The received both aerials/quints and Rescues.

Boston was and still is using single axle 100' for their rear mounts. All of their rear-mounts are vintage E-Ones that have seen a lot of service.

Although, Boston is now in the Pierce arena (a much better choice), most likely the single axles will die with the existing E-One rigs.

We had a Metz around for a few days and really enjoyed its maneuverability (did you forget MStrange 1?). The problem with the Metz was compartment space and ladder storage (very little).

Pierce is now out with an aluminum version of their well-tested steel aerial. Check with your local dealer to see what options their aluminum aerial will open up for you.

We actually tested a Metz truck, has pros and cons. Pros was a short truck, very manuverable with a very versital 100' bucket/aerial (the bucket is removable). You could short jack this truck and still get great reach, the computers make sure you don't overdue it. The one we looked at had a pump, but could had without. The cons were storage ability, the removable bucket and the capacity of the bucket. Storage, even without the pump was less than what we have now on our 100' Seagrave and minimal compliment of ground ladders. The removable bucket bothered some of our team and the bucket capacity, if I remember correctly was only about 600 pounds.

Check out the Town of Mamaroneck Ladder 19. Its a fairly new Seagrave (1999?) Its a sweet rig, single axel, short wheelbase and a 100ft ladder, pre-piped.

so you all know Ardsley is not specing a new rig yet. Ladder 50 is almost 20 years but a commttee has not been formed or discussed with anyone from the village. As we have stated before the firehouse is our first priority.