Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark Z

Eggertsville Bike Unit

6 posts in this topic

Yeah this is pretty cool. my VAC has about 10 Trek mountain bikes equipped with medical gear/lights and sirens. mobile radio's are carried on our persons. We use them for parades, large town gatherings, etc. I even use one to "patrol," if you will, the trail system in my town. Mostly i use my own mountain bike for my personal use, but i also always bring my radio in case I find someone down on the trails, or if a situation should arise where I am in need of help! not to mention, it is great PR. but overall yes, i believe they are great addition to any squad/company/organization/corps.

East Hartford FD has a Bike Unit as well as New Britain EMS in CT.

Mobile Life has had a bike unit for quite some time and we are starting to use it more. The units are an invaluable resource in large gatherings.

Mobile Life has had a bike unit for quite some time and we are starting to use it more. The units are an invaluable resource in large gatherings.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100516019

He said he was told emergency medical technicians on site handled seven minor incidents, including one asthma attack by a child that happened at the center of the bridge. Densmore said that could have aggravated the situation in which there was some pushing and shoving.

Comments:

bnsmom wrote:

As the mother of the child who had the asthma attack at this event it was not a good situation. We were just trying to get across to get to our car and then the crowd was a huge cluster. When the lighting was done everyone tried moving all at once and in different directions causing people to feel like you were being crushed. Unless you were in the center of this you would have no idea of how bad it was. It lasted for at least 30 minutes. There should of been a section that was kept cleared so people who didn't want to listen to the ceremony could get through. I am very thankful that there were two EMTs stuck with us so they could help my child. It could of been worse than it was and I am thankful for those that helped us

Mamaroneck EMS has had a bike unit since 2004, it is a great tool to use in large gatherings, and events. Some examples of such are:

The PGA tour event held in Wingfoot Golf Club a cupple of years back,

Mamaroneck Annual Harbor Fair,

Mamaroneck Firemen s Parade,

Our 4th of July Fireworks display.

Just wondering out of the units that have been mentioned here, what is the training you put your members thru ( bike opps, proper maneuvering), Do you have your members perform regular fitness and health requirements, How do you carry your equipment, and what do you carry?