Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boss159

Input on brush trucks...

10 posts in this topic

Our department is kinda stuck in a rut with getting specs finalized for a new brush truck, we have seen some demos and just looking for some input on the likability, ease of use, technical abilities of existing newer trucks, any input will be appreciated please give me all pro's and con's and a description of what you use...

Thanks Tim

Our department is kinda stuck in a rut with getting specs finalized for a new brush truck, we have seen some demos and just looking for some input on the likability, ease of use, technical abilities of existing newer trucks, any input will be appreciated please give me all pro's and con's and a description of what you use...

Thanks Tim

One of the main things that you have to look at, is what will its TRUE function be? Are you looking for the capability to put it far off road, and need water, pump, hose, and hand tools only, a "true" brush-truck? Or are you looking for a multi-purpose vehicle to run to an assortment of calls (i.e. EMS first response, minor MVAs for fluid spills etc....).

This will dictate the size, and type of vehicle, and body that you are looking to get. Also, some manufacturers have specialties, in regards to the types of bodies you want (as stated before, a bare bones brush truck, or multi-purpose utility vehicle).

Also, what department are you with? What is your budget? What is your response area (lots of hills, woods, fields, swamps or none of the above)? If you give us a little bit more info, we might be able to point you in a specific direction.

Hope that helps you out a little bit.

Check out Beekman's 34-61 and definitely Wassaic's new rig Wassaic

thanks Chief.

Our B.R.A.T has been a great addition to our department and has really shown that we did an excellent job in spec'ing it, it has surpassed our expectations by far, if I can be of assistance PM me, any assistance we can provide just ask away, if you would like to come see it, our house is always open. Here is a few more links.

Firematic, they built our unit, go to the top of the page and select trucks and then the BRAT

http://firematic.com/

the link to the process of our unit being built

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=33549

A few "in the field" shots

post-16297-127674299841.jpg

post-16297-127674308517.jpg

To add some info, this will be a f450-550 chassis,it will have mixed use as in traffic control, brush fire, tree&wire babysitting, I've seen Wassaic's truck in pic's but..pro's and con's, any problems with ground clearance, any problems with the booster reels being on top like they are? or is this is the best brush truck anyone has ever used?

We have looked at CET, BRAT, two others that I can't recall off the top of my head. Here is what the committee has so far as to what we want...

f450-550 super cab 4x4

Single wheel rear axle

300gal water/10gal foam poly tank

18hp+ truck fueled diesel pump/ pump and roll capable

led or hid tele scene lights

enough hose bed for 300' forestry

pre connect at waist level w/150' forestry

room for 2 lengths of suction hose

enough cabinet space for hand tools, chain saw ect.

I think we have most of what we want on the truck figured out, just looking for the, opinion of departments that have newer truck in service and what options that are liked and not like on them

A few "in the field" shots

I believe Bill our Chief will be looking for your officer at the next chiefs council meeting, possible asking for a copy of your spec's. thanks for the pic's helped a bunch.

Tim

I believe Bill our Chief will be looking for your officer at the next chiefs council meeting, possible asking for a copy of your spec's. thanks for the pic's helped a bunch.

Tim

I have a copy of the specs on my computer if needed, myself and the Signman (emtbravo member) would be the ones to contact regarding the Unit as we did 99.9% of the work on the unit, if you want a copy of the specs send me a PM with an email address and I will get send them along.

To add some info, this will be a f450-550 chassis,it will have mixed use as in traffic control, brush fire, tree&wire babysitting, I've seen Wassaic's truck in pic's but..pro's and con's, any problems with ground clearance, any problems with the booster reels being on top like they are? or is this is the best brush truck anyone has ever used?

We have looked at CET, BRAT, two others that I can't recall off the top of my head. Here is what the committee has so far as to what we want...

f450-550 super cab 4x4

Single wheel rear axle

300gal water/10gal foam poly tank

18hp+ truck fueled diesel pump/ pump and roll capable

led or hid tele scene lights

enough hose bed for 300' forestry

pre connect at waist level w/150' forestry

room for 2 lengths of suction hose

enough cabinet space for hand tools, chain saw ect.

I think we have most of what we want on the truck figured out, just looking for the, opinion of departments that have newer truck in service and what options that are liked and not like on them

Wassaic's Specs:

F-450, super single wheel conversion, GVW is 16,500, unit weighs 14,000 fully equipped, 300 poly tank with a 10 gallon foam cell, 18hp Hale Pump with Scotty around the pump Class A system with settings from .01% to 1%, Pro-pak portable foam unit with setting from 1% to 6%, 2 hose reels: one with 1000' feet of forestry hose, the second with 200' booster line, 2 hose bed: one with 400' of 1 3/4" hose, the second with 300' of 2 1/2" hose, 4 hose bags with 300' of forestry hose in each, rear 2 1/2" discharged which is "Y'd" into 1 - 1 1/2" and 1 -1" discharge, 4 - 8' pieces of suction, under body compartments for chain saws and portable winch, 4 - 48" compartments which houses various hands tools, 2 Telescoping HID lights, SCBA, portacafs unit, long tool storage at the front of the body for rakes and brooms, integrated in body compartment which houses 6 folding indian tanks.

I know up here in Western MA I have seen/heard about problems with a few local FD's brush trucks. Depending on the type of terrain you would be going into, make sure it is not TOO overloaded (i cannot think of a brush truck around here that is not in some way over weight). One other KEY thing, is make sure it is not to Big. I have seen some trucks literally not be able to get on the trail because they will not fit, but then FD XX shows up with thier little chevy and sneaks right in.

Check our our truck at http://granvillevolunteerfiredepartment.org/Brush1.html

This seems to work out perfect for us