Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

Board Says Westport Can't Afford SAFER Grant

9 posts in this topic

Hiring new employees could mean millions of dollars in costs to Westport, board members say.

Westport Patch

By Liz Mitchell

July 8, 2010

In the long-term, Westport can't afford the eight lieutenants that would be hired through the Westport Fire Department's recently awarded $1.2 million SAFER grant without concessions from the union on benefits and pensions, the Board of Finance said Wednesday night.

The seven-member body voted not to accept the grant for now, unless the union can offer Westport an affordable plan....

http://westport.patch.com/articles/board-says-westport-cant-afford-safer-grant

Was working on the same thing as mbendel. Here it is anyway:

Westport Fire Chief Christopher Ackley told the board Wednesday night that the grant is critical to the safety of the townspeople and the safety of his firefighters.

In a previous meeting, Ackley said that two of the town's four engine companies are staffed by only two firefighters while the other two companies have three, which is "where we need to be" on all companies. The grant would allow for that as well as complying with federal occupational safety regulations.

Undermanning engines violates those regulations, and currently Westport has the lowest manning of fire apparatus in Fairfield County, Ackley said in a previous meeting.

"Adding additional staffing helps our operation, helps continuity, increases our level of safety," Ackley said Wednesday. "I know there is an economic issue, we understand that, which is why this was put off for two years ... Somebody making this decision will set the level of protection. This is for the safety of my firefighters, in the two stations I feel deserve that kind of protection. I encourage you and ask you, respectfully, to support this process to the RTM."

Westport, Connecticut; some interesting data:

Median resident age: 41.4 years

Connecticut median age: 37.4 years

Zip codes: 06880, 06881, 06888, 06889.

Westport Zip Code Map

Estimated median household income in 2008: $155,322 (it was $119,872 in 2000)

Westport: $155,322

Connecticut: $68,595

Estimated per capita income in 2008: $97,943

Westport CDP income, earnings, and wages data

Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $1,169,081 (it was $617,500 in 2000)

Westport: $1,169,081

Connecticut: $306,000

Mean prices in 2008:

All housing units: $1,352,443;

Detached houses: $1,404,361;

Townhouses or other attached units: $919,127;

In 2-unit structures: $690,158;

In 3-to-4-unit structures: $507,486;

In 5-or-more-unit structures: $445,489;

Mobile homes: $1,250,000

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Westport-Connecticut.html#ixzz0tCxHJYGz

Board chairwoman Helen Garten said accepting the grant would mean a commitment of "three-quarters of a million to a million" for the third year of their hire and more after that. In salaries, benefits and pensions, the eight additional firefighters would cost the town millions in years to come, she said. It also means no attrition and no layoffs for the first two years and accepting the grant is a "decision to commit to permanent staff."

Nice job on the grant Westport Fire, congrats. It's quite an accomplishment to be awarded a SAFER grant; there's a ton of work involved with any grant application, and no guarantees. SAFER is extremely competetive. Like Stamford though, all the work seems to be falling on deaf ears.

And yet, when I compare the financial data to the arguement that Westport cannot "afford" to take a SAFER grant, I find it dubious at best.

Best of luck trying to move the department in the right direction.

I bet if the SAFER grant was for the Library it would go through.

One word -----> BULL.................

Firefighter grant doused with long-term cost concerns

Anthony Karge

Westport News

July 13, 2010

Although the Westport Fire Department has been approved to receive $1.2 million in federal funds to hire new firefighters, the Board of Finance would not support accepting the money last week because of concerns over long-term costs.

"The problem is, long term, we have cost structure problems here," said Helen Garten, chairman of the Board of Finance, at a July 7 meeting. "As I said, when we haven't even paid for our current employees in the future, how can we think about taking on new personnel?"...

http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/Firefighter-grant-doused-with-long-term-cost-575519.php

Fire Chief Christopher Ackley and First Selectman Gordon Joseloff spoke in support of the grant and, when it became clear that the Board of Finance was not inclined to support it, they expressed disappointment.

"Somebody making these decisions is going to set the level of protection for this town and I always felt the primary purpose of government was for the safety of the public," Ackley said.

Joseloff said that, in the past, public safety was almost put the backburner, and this grant represents an opportunity to catch up.

"I don't deny that the costs are high, but ... at what cost is a life?" he said. "That's what it comes down to and, at some point, it's going to come back to haunt us if we don't have the manpower."

Hate to say it, wait for the day when someone is going to say, "told you so....."

Wonder if the Board puts itself at liability by going on record saying they support the idea, but won't spring for the financing? In other words they are acknowledging the department's need for staffing, yet won't pay. Has the Local applied for technical assistance from the IAFF? You can have an actuarial study done of the district, and find out what the real number$ are. Usally it's for negotiations support, but this seems to be a worthy cause in my opinion.

Westport Declines $1.2 Million Federal Grant for Firefighters

James Lomuscio

Westpost Now

08/05/10

Westport Fire Chief Christopher Ackley today informed federal officials the town is turning down a $1.2 million federal grant to hire eight new firefighters. He called it a disappointing, missed opportunity his department may never see again....

http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v2/comments/29308/

Those well off, very educated people of Westport are sure lucky they don't have some wise a$$ street bum like myself as Chief. If it was me as Chief and I had my time in, I'd be more than happy to retire, but first tell them all where to go. I almost lost it dealing with those people back in the 70s when I was a young letter carrier there.