Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Drowning looks different than you think

10 posts in this topic

Think drowning involves screaming, gasping, and flailing? Think it’s easy to notice someone drowning? Well, you’re wrong. Drowning is a silent killer. There’s no splashing, waving, or calling for help of any kind. It's not like what you see on TV. Many people would not even notice another person drowning at just 30 yards away. Read on for tips on how to keep yourself and those you love safe from this silent killer whether at the beach or in your backyard pool.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/drowning-looks-different-than-you-think-2010225/

PCFD ENG58, helicopper and CLM92982 like this

just did a drowning the other day. it was a suicide however. there were people not even 30 yards from her and had no idea she was doing it. it became a body recovery rather than a possible rescue to say the least

excellent post efdcapt115. thanks for sharing

Edited by yanks4ever1320

We were swimming at a pond just the other day, a sandy beach with a very gradual slope into the water. What you would consider to be a very safe swimming environment. There was a little girl with her younger cousin who was playing in the water about 30 feet away from me. I heard her mother say to her to help her cousin and when I looked over I saw the little boy, standing, very calmly in the water. It was only after observing them for a few seconds that I realized his mouth and nose were never coming above the small waves. It took a few seconds for it to register because there was no thrashing around, flailing arms, or cries for help. If this little girls mother hadn't seen what was happening the outcome could have been tragic.

efdcapt115 likes this

Great post. Very often on the Hudson and the Hackensack we'll get jumpers in the water. And to a certain extent I consider them more dangerous than a jumper from a building. If our resources are limited-usually NYPD Air/Sea Rescue is overhead in minutes-we'll send two guys in with Sterns suits that are tethered. Upon reching the victim they usually don't want to play nice and become violent. There are several different ways of dealing with them, but, one in particular will confirm whether or not they want to end there lives by drowning. It takes the fight out of them and we go home the same way we came. Over the years we have found (depending on the location) that the best way to locate the victim is to set up a tri-angulation(?) by using bystanders on land that saw the victim go in-if your lucky enough to have this luxury. My last night in we had a suicide who made good on his promise. And even with all sorts of resources-JCPD/ESU, FDJC, Harbor Charlie-NYPD and air sea rescue the current was ripping so fast that the vic traveled about 1/4 mile in a couple minutes before we could locate him using hand held FLIR and Aviations FLIR. Just as a side note and without pointing fingers. When we removed the vic from the water CPR commenced on the ground and an AED was attached. We were on the METAL gang plank/pier for the NY Waterway Ferry-probably close to 30 public safety personnel were present. The person was stopped in time but had he hit the 'SHOCK' button I think we all would have been in for a shock. Perhaps nothing would have occured but all the same it was safer to through him on the stretcher before delivering a shock.

News Article: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/07/man_drowns_in_hudson_river_aft.html

Two past incidents come to mind when I read this. When I was about 11 or so, I was taking a swim class at a local pool. We were taking turns jumping off the springboard into the deep end of the pool. A local kid I knew went in before me. I had a weird feeling when he went in so I walked out to the end of the diving board and looked down. He was motionless at the bottom of the pool in about 10 feet of water, making no effort to come back up like you would expect. I jumped in and pulled him up as the lifeguards were diving in after us. He was fine but it could have been a lot different. Second incident was when I was maybe 18 or so and was at the local watering hole (Sprout Brook - literally a hole) with my family. My kid brother was in the shallow end standing there with me in about 1-2 feet of water. One second I look at him and he's fine, next second I look at him and he's sideways in the water with his airway submerged, barely flailing but trying to get up. Fish out of water (but a weak fish) comes to mind. I grabbed him and stood him up - again fine, thankfully. But all it takes is a few seconds.....

We were on the METAL gang plank/pier for the NY Waterway Ferry-probably close to 30 public safety personnel were present. The person was stopped in time but had he hit the 'SHOCK' button I think we all would have been in for a shock.

We should do an experiment and see how much energy arcs off a "person" when we shock them with a defib. I'm willing to bet you won't find much stray energy. Stand up. Your shoes alone will likely insulate you from any issues. New CPR guidelines will likely involve people doing CPR continuous, even when pushing the shock button. Food for thought. ;)

Edited by WAS967

Boy drowns at Myrtle Beach resort

A 7-year-old boy from Newark, N.J., drowned this afternoon in the swimming pool at the Sea Mist Resort, said Horry County Deputy Coroner Chris Burroughs.

Cedric Brown was here with his mother, stepfather and other relatives for a family reunion. Burroughs said the drowning happened just before 3:30 p.m. at the resort at 1200 S. Ocean Blvd. in Myrtle Beach.

"It's just a really unfortunate situation," Burroughs said.There were people in the pool, including four or five family members, but Burroughs said it only takes a few seconds for an accident to happen.

There won't be an autopsy, he said. Cedric Brown's body will be sent back to New Jersey.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/07/26/1603145/in-our-towns.html#ixzz0umuYKWNb

17 year old boy drowned in the town next to mine Friday. Reportedly four boys were swimming across the lake and one turned back but never made it ashore. I'm certain like the thread name they'll all report not hearing a thing, given that exhaustion generally precedes drowning. Same thing with a 19 year old off our lighthouse last summer. All bystanders said they watched he just slip under with no noticeable distress.Sadly, no one attempted to help him and our first due arrived over 10 minutes later as this was 1/2 mile out a "breakwater" by foot. By then no one could pinpoint his location and no dive team is readily available. basically any dive team ops in our area will be recoverys due to the response time.

http://knox.villagesoup.com/news/story/body-of-missing-swimmer-found-in-megunticook-lake/340849

Edited by antiquefirelt

Excellent topic. Most people dont realize how dangerous water can be. We all spend so much time teaching our kids and our communities how to prevent fires in our homes and how to react when there is a fire but not so much time on water safety. There are many regulations on swimming pool safety in my town but it seems that people dont know about them, not to mention there are 29 bodies of water often visited by people swimming and fishing. Most of these locations are not visable from the road way and are nearly impossable to access with rescue equipment. Heres a question for everyone...do any fire departments out there offer any type of public education for water/ice safety?