Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

How Does Your FD Handle Rehab?

8 posts in this topic

In light of a recent incident discussion, I wanted to ask everyone how their department handles the rehabilitation of firefighters at incidents. Remember, it doesn't have to be a working house fire in the middle of July - we all need rest, replenishing of fluids and relief no matter what kind of incident and regardless of the time of year.

I'll take the lead and start. On any confirmed fire (10-75) in our jurisdiction, we get a minimum of two ambulances, a Medic and a rehab unit from Cortlandt VAC (or another if they aren't available). Once we reach a 2nd Alarm, additional resources are dispatched including EMS, relief personnel and even a canteen from Salvation Army, if needed.

For any prolonged operation, we request EMS (if not already there) to look after our personnel.

We carry bottled water on all apparatus, and keep a misting fan on our Rescue. We recently gave another misting fan to EMS, and we give them cases of water to keep on the rigs for our personnel.

We're working together with EMS on setting up more firm procedures for what needs to be done.

Share your thoughts!

mlcougar2001 likes this

When my department gets toned out, we usually try and staff the Ambulance (fire department BLS rig). If no Rig for a structure fire or brush fire, we would call mutual aid from another town. Other than that, REHAB is usually a "play it by ear" scenario. We have both the FD REHAB team, and Auxiliary (which is exactly like REHAB, just not First Responder Certified). If it is an extended brush fire, structure fire, or a long extrication on an MVA, we will contact our dispatch via radio, and simply say "tone out for REHAB and Auxiliary". Most members of REHAB and Aux have issued pagers, if they personally don't have one, 99% of them are wives/relatives of one of our members, so they will leave their pager home while going on the run. That is the best way I can describe it, because I am not sure what our SOG/SOP's are for this subject.

Hope this explains it, if not, PM me for more.

Josh Rutola

I think ill answer this one from the rehabbers side. Our rehab van (Cortlandt 8805) carries 8 cases of water, bagged ice, cold/heat packs, approx 12 camp chairs, 1 folded cot, an "easy up" tent as well as a tent that attaches to the rear of the van, a misting fan, 2 cooling chairs, a propane powered "palm tree" heater, small geverator and even a coffee maker on top of all the required gear as per NYSDOH part 800.

On any emergency we are requested to we will send members out with a small FA kit and a cooler of water to hand out to the FFs. We also have EMTs who will monitor the vitals and physical appearance of ALL the FFs working. (it can be just as hot by the hydrant as it is in the bucket) We also have a command board to keep track of the FFs that have been rehabed and those who needed treatment/transport. As far as the actual rehab procedures we follow those set forth by NFPA.

Quick side note, if anyone would like to see what our van has to offer for their FD or even to get an idea for their own send me a PM. Also any reccomendations are always taken under advisement.

Great topic chief! should prove to be educational for us all! Stay safe folks!

We add a BLS ambulance and a Paramedic flycar to all working fire assignments that staff the rehab section and provide transport if needed, EMTs that respond POV to calls for additional manpower are generally assigned to rehab unless they are interior certified. Juniors also assist in setting up the tarps and rounding up the cases of water stored in each rig.

Occasionally we used to call Squad 7 from Danbury for their enclosed rescue-style truck to rehab, but that has since been replaced with a walk-around, so we would call the Putnam Lake MERV, which has more space and better A/C.

In the city near me, a Rehab assignment is usually added to most W/F assignments. In some cases, usually in the 2nd to 3rd alarm range, EMS is brought in and operates in the rehab assignment. The standard rehab assignment is usually the Rehab unit, in this case, an ex-school bus refurbished as a rehab unit, and an engine company, preferably, but not always, the engine company stationed with it. The rehab engine will usually stay with the rehab bus, but can perform firefighting duties, providing there is sufficient manning on the rehab bus. On the scene, whether it is the middle of summer or the dead of winter, the rehab units, and the occasional EMS units provide water, chairs, heaters, coffee, tents, cots, and other standard rehab equipment to the crews on scene. If there are paramedics on the fireground, then they will monitor the firefighters' appearances, vitals, etc. and stand by on scene in case anyone needs medical attention. However, EMS may or may not stand by with the rehab assignment, but sometimes separate.

The rehab engine can either be the fourth or fifth-due engine on a W/F, depending on whether or not the R.I.T. engine is third or fourth-due. This also depends on the W/F assignment and if said assignment is upgraded above that. If it is a 4 Engines, 2 Ladders..., then the Rehab assignment most likely adds the fifth, or even sixth engine, depending on where the R.I.T. engine is or how many engines are already on scene. If the case is 3 Engines, 2 Ladders..., then the Rehab assignment is made the fourth or fifth due engine. There are no real concrete, set-in-stone plans when it comes to where a rehab assignment falls in a working fire assignment. It will be dispatched accordingly and depending on the assignment already in place.

Our department relies on our local ambulance corps rehab unit, which I'm told comes fully stocked with fancy cooling chairs/fans. The most important function of rehab is getting people checked out and hydrated- however, this only works if people actually go to the rehab unit. Sounds simple enough, but a lack of communication and no set scene procedures that incorporate rehab into accountability and safety can mean half the working fire scene never sees the rehab station. It's a great idea, so make sure you're actually using it!

Pleasantville VAC has a REHAB Unit. It is a truck that was donated to us by Hawthorne FD, the old MA-27. It is now 7605. On the truck we have, misting fans, tents, a heater for colder months, cooling chairs, water, Gatorade, extra oxygen, and basic equipment ( b/p cuffs, scopes), and a CO2 detector/pulse ox.

We have been called to a few fires as REHAB. We are more than happy to help any department that needs us. So far we have received positive feed back.

Thank you to all the departments who have shown us support! We look forward to working with everyone.

Keep up all the good work, stay safe! :)

Kelli Conley

Pleasntville VAC

1st Lieutenant

Pleasantville VAC has a REHAB Unit. It is a truck that was donated to us by Hawthorne FD, the old MA-27. It is now 7605. On the truck we have, misting fans, tents, a heater for colder months, cooling chairs, water, Gatorade, extra oxygen, and basic equipment ( b/p cuffs, scopes), and a CO2 detector/pulse ox.

We have been called to a few fires as REHAB. We are more than happy to help any department that needs us. So far we have received positive feed back.

Thank you to all the departments who have shown us support! We look forward to working with everyone.

Keep up all the good work, stay safe! :)

Kelli Conley

Pleasntville VAC

1st Lieutenant

Need to add/correct a couple of things. PVAC Rehab also has a generator with lights and we have a CO detector not CO2.

Call us anytime!