Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rescue85

5-Inch Hose on Supply Engine

35 posts in this topic

Normal operatiing pressure is 185psi. Some depts test at 200psi others at 250psi (Angus list the test pressure at 200psi). Angus claims that at normal operating pressures 5" hose max's out at about 1,500gpm. All the tables I find show a 1,500gpm pump capacity with 5" LDH will get you 1,500 gpm to about 900 feet. A 2,000 gpm pump will get you another 300 feet.

Generally when calculating delivery its measured at the recieving end, not the source pump. I suggest you check your flow meters, because your numbers are not what they should be.

Yes it did. Thank you comrade

Don't forget to add 10% to engine pressure for "sinuosity of the hose lay" if it zigs and zags more than 3 times down the street, comrade.

The NFPA is really a level of government without a constitution or bill of rights. A few people sit down and make up a "standard" and POOF...a year later, it is cited like the law of the land, and everybody must fall in line.

Think about it. How did something like a rope get an expiration date? The committee said "Oh, I dunnow let's make it 20 years" but the rope manufacturer is on the committee so it becomes 10 years. He has to sell rope,you know. After that it becomes a utility rope (still strong as ever). And so on and so on.

While I agree that NFPA is an absolute pain in the arse I haven't seen a standard that is without merit. Even the rope standard you cited is dead on. Unless its stored in a climate controlled space away from UV and ozone exposure 10 years is pushing the integrity of the rope. You'd be hard pressed to find a serious climber who would trust that rope.

While I agree that NFPA is an absolute pain in the arse I haven't seen a standard that is without merit. Even the rope standard you cited is dead on. Unless its stored in a climate controlled space away from UV and ozone exposure 10 years is pushing the integrity of the rope. You'd be hard pressed to find a serious climber who would trust that rope.

REMEMBER I SAID SOME GOOD, SOME NOT SO GOOD.I WAS COMMENTING ON THE STANDARDS PROCESS AND HOW THINGS COME TO BE, NOT THE ROPE STANDARD PER SE.

I'm not yelling at you...new computer w/ windows 7 and caps lock was on. Never too old to learn something new

Think about it. How did something like a rope get an expiration date? The committee said "Oh, I dunnow let's make it 20 years" but the rope manufacturer is on the committee so it becomes 10 years. He has to sell rope,you know. After that it becomes a utility rope (still strong as ever). And so on and so on. .......REMEMBER I SAID SOME GOOD, SOME NOT SO GOOD.I WAS COMMENTING ON THE STANDARDS PROCESS AND HOW THINGS COME TO BE, NOT THE ROPE STANDARD PER SE.

Even the rope standard you cited is dead on. Unless its stored in a climate controlled space away from UV and ozone exposure 10 years is pushing the integrity of the rope. You'd be hard pressed to find a serious climber who would trust that rope.

While I agree this can happen with the any of the NFPA standards, thats not how it always goes. Lets take the rope standard. After the tragic loss of FDNY Firefighters LAWRENCE FITZPATRICK - RES. 3 and GERALD FRISBY - LAD. 28 in a 1980 fireground rope failure, the FDNY requested NFPA develop a rope standard.

I watched in amazment when the NFPA 1983 committee 1st met. FDNY insisted that the standard be 1 use and the rope is no longer useable. Every rope manufacture in the country said this is nuts and they voted against including this in the standard. The fire department reps out voted them.

The testing that was done on Dupont 6.6 nylon which was the primary component in almost every rope until just a few years ago (its still #1, but there are others) showed that in the pH levels found in our atmosphere a rope that is stored in ideal conditions (on a spool, no exposure to UV or heat and never used) losses approximatly 1% of its rated strength each year. After 10 years thats 10% and we all know how well fire service ropes are cared for. I looked thru 1983 and can not find an experation date for rope. But the manufactures recommend 10 years (unless in an ultra acidic location, i.e chemical plant) based on the above.

While I agree this can happen with the any of the NFPA standards, thats not how it always goes. Lets take the rope standard. After the tragic loss of FDNY Firefighters LAWRENCE FITZPATRICK - RES. 3 and GERALD FRISBY - LAD. 28 in a 1980 fireground rope failure, the FDNY requested NFPA develop a rope standard.

I watched in amazment when the NFPA 1983 committee 1st met. FDNY insisted that the standard be 1 use and the rope is no longer useable. Every rope manufacture in the country said this is nuts and they voted against including this in the standard. The fire department reps out voted them.

The testing that was done on Dupont 6.6 nylon which was the primary component in almost every rope until just a few years ago (its still #1, but there are others) showed that in the pH levels found in our atmosphere a rope that is stored in ideal conditions (on a spool, no exposure to UV or heat and never used) losses approximatly 1% of its rated strength each year. After 10 years thats 10% and we all know how well fire service ropes are cared for. I looked thru 1983 and can not find an experation date for rope. But the manufactures recommend 10 years (unless in an ultra acidic location, i.e chemical plant) based on the above.

Maybe ropes was a bad example,but I was commenting on the process, not the rope stsndard. Break a 12 year old rope and the court will surely say that the MFG Rec is the expiration date. I am working without a set of NFPA's here in the retired DC's office, so I have to rely on you for lookups. BTW I met the FDNY ropes Lt. in Defenders years ago when they were reseaeching the standard you mentioned. He was building a rope tester-breaker for breaking strength.