Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miami222

8-11-10 Continental Village PIAA RT.9

15 posts in this topic

On Wednesday 8-11-10 Continental Village FD, Peekskill VAC, and Garrison VAC, were dispatched to Route 9 at the Putnam / Westchester County line for a reported PIAA Rollover. All occupants were out of their vehicles upon arrival.

post-1309-073166100 1281630175.jpg

post-1309-040097600 1281630185.jpg

post-1309-083146700 1281630193.jpg

post-1309-040451500 1281630201.jpg

post-1309-048648900 1281630214.jpg

post-1309-073652900 1281630224.jpg

My question for anyone who was there is if all the occupants were out do members operate under next to the side resting vehicle to employ a more advanced stabaliztation device? Here's my thought if there is no one in the car and you don't have to operate in or around the car just use some step chocks/wedges to stabalize the car.

Fair question. Plus that is the more stable side... if anything it would roll onto its roof. However, it could be good practice for setting the ResQ jacks up in a critical situation. Why not make a drill out of an incident?

Great pics BTW!

Excellent photos. Seems like these accidents are becoming a regular occurrence on that stretch of Route 9.

Why not make a drill out of an incident?

In a state right of way during rush hour?

I think that is overstating the facts a bit. Road is closed and it doesn't keep the road closed any longer. They are waiting for the wrecker.

Edited by Alpinerunner

What time was the accident?

The call came in around 4:15, we were waiting around for the flatbed to show up, so we set up the stabilization struts because we had a few newer guys that never deployed them before .

The call came in around 4:15, we were waiting around for the flatbed to show up, so we set up the stabilization struts because we had a few newer guys that never deployed them before .

I think this was a great use of time. When all your doing is sitting there with your hands in you pockets and new members, thats always a great time to learn.

markmets415 and INIT915 like this

Excellent photos. Seems like these accidents are becoming a regular occurrence on that stretch of Route 9.

Drove through there today and counted 11 crossed from highland ave to the 123 deli! To all those driving rt 9 everyday: BE CAREFUL!!!

also great pics!

Sad to say that I have been involved with at least 5 incidents that resulted in some of those crosses. Bottom line is many of these accidents involve human error whether it be distracted driving, alcohol or drowsiness. To be honest I don't see much of a change in the volume of calls, just with multimedia being the way it is a broader audience is hearing of it. Always seems like an odd rotation to me. You'll get clusters of them on that section of Rte. 9. Then you get clusters on Bear Mtn. Bridge Rd. then you'll get them on the Roa Hook Rd. section from Camp smith to where 9 splits before rejoining around Jack Rd. It is what it is.

Sad to say that I have been involved with at least 5 incidents that resulted in some of those crosses. Bottom line is many of these accidents involve human error whether it be distracted driving, alcohol or drowsiness. To be honest I don't see much of a change in the volume of calls, just with multimedia being the way it is a broader audience is hearing of it. Always seems like an odd rotation to me. You'll get clusters of them on that section of Rte. 9. Then you get clusters on Bear Mtn. Bridge Rd. then you'll get them on the Roa Hook Rd. section from Camp smith to where 9 splits before rejoining around Jack Rd. It is what it is.

I agree, the accidents associated with those crosses date back to the 90s. We get far more on the Bridge road, its just that with the drivers driving faster on 9 the crashes end up more serious.

I think this was a great use of time. When all your doing is sitting there with your hands in you pockets and new members, thats always a great time to learn.

Agreed, especially with the road closed already.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

They drive much faster on this stretch of 9. trucks are doing 55 and better, cars even more. You can't do those speeds on Bridge Road, You'd go airborne on the curves.

They drive much faster on this stretch of 9. trucks are doing 55 and better, cars even more. You can't do those speeds on Bridge Road, You'd go airborne on the curves.

I beg to differ...but I've never done anything like that...lol