Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firegui

Somers takes next step to upgrade EMS for it's residents

38 posts in this topic

yea i herd of vintech, i was just on there website they cover about 12-15 towns throughout the state, seems like a more affordable way to go

Vintech is a good solution. In New Fairfield we use Danbury Hospitals EMS service to provide an EMT and Paramedic to staff a bus from 0600-1800 M-F and an on-call Paramedic flycar for all the other times. It works well, because during the day we just don't have the manpower in town to cover calls. The second ambulance will be staffed by volunteers or mutual aid if there is no staff. If the on-duty crew needs an extra set of hands they will tone out for that, and I BELIEVE EMT-Trainees can ride with the on-duty crew during the day if they want to.

The people deserve no they have a right to the best trained and experience EMS professional when they have an emergency that requires EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE just like they do when there is a fire or a crime, the fact of the matter is when it comes to EMS no one wants to pay. It is irresponsible to have someone who already provides an essential service to provide another essential service in their down time . POLICE should focus on police matters they have a hard enough job, FIRE FIGHTERS should focus on fighting fires they have a hard enough job and let EMS focus on emergency medical jobs . If your loved one is having a medical emergency don't you want some one with the highest possible skills to help them. It is time for the politics to be put aside we need to have 3 separate services each one trained and experience in their field.FIRE FIGHTING, POLICING and EMS are every citizens right stop trying to save money our families are worth it. I think the politicians should ride a few tours with a EMS agency and see what a Paramedic or EMT does everyday,let them experience the sadness ,the suffering and sometimes happiness, Sorry if I went off the subject but I love what I do ,have done it a very long time and I just want to see the future EMTs and MEDICS have a job that they can actually make a living at..........BE SAFE

Edited by PEDSTRUK

ON 8/15/10 at 0700 hours the first ambulance out the door is now staffed with paid personell. It is staffed with two EMT'S provided by Westchester EMS. This is a 24 hour 365 day a year program. The Somers Fire District realized the need for better response times for our ambulance and this is best way to accomplish the goal. I would like to say the volunteers have done an excellent job for many many years keeping ems going but due to more and more calls longer turn around times and just the economy the task just got too much to handle. The volunteers will still man the second and third ambulances which see more and more calls everyday.

Was there an RFP put out for this? I don't recall hearing anything about it on the "street"

Now if we can get Somers to allow Westchester County to dispatch for them, we could get rid of the dispatchers we pay extra for and save a few (or more) bucks.

helicopper and Remember585 like this

OK, from the point of view of a relative of people who live in Somers, I applaud this move whole heartedly. I had a situation where a relative of mine waited nearly a half hour before Mahopac Falls got on scene. If all other options were expended, and this was the best way to go, more power to em!!!

As far as the "social club" comments, that's another discussion for another time.

Edited by JBE

Was there an RFP put out for this? I don't recall hearing anything about it on the "street"

About 4 or 5 years ago there was. It was never acted on, and I'd be surprised if it was still valid.

About 4 or 5 years ago there was. It was never acted on, and I'd be surprised if it was still valid.

You would think that the award of, what is probably a six figure contract, would demand it. Not only fiscally sound but also legally as a qusi- governmental entity. I would be surprised if this was not challenged by other commercial services.