Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
X2321

Somers - Heritage Hills Accident

17 posts in this topic

As some of you might know I work Security/EMT part time at Heritage Hills.

I was not on duty or at the scene of the accident so I will not comment on it.

After speaking with co-workers I would however like to say this:

Somers Volunteer Fire Department and Westchester EMS did a great job.

I am proud to work with such a professional group and most important

THANK YOU for coming to help one of our own.

He came to the intersection of Warren Street and West Hill Drive and expected the Sleepy Hollow woman's car would stop. It didn't and they collided.

Moral of this story: Always come to a complete stop, make eye contact with people at the intersection, make sure it's clear, then proceed with utmost caution. Get there safe! Thankfully everyone was okay.

EDIT: God, the idiots who post comments on those LoHud articles never cease to amaze me. For the record, Command Security (the parent organization the run Heritage Hills Security) is indeed a NYS DOH certified first response agency (http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/counties/westchester.htm) and certainly is authorized to use RL&S. Regardless I'm reminded of something a driving instructor once told us: "The right of way is always given, never taken."

Edited by WAS967
helicopper likes this

Moral of this story: Always come to a complete stop, make eye contact with people at the intersection, make sure it's clear, then proceed with utmost caution. Get there safe! Thankfully everyone was okay.

EDIT: God, the idiots who post comments on those LoHud articles never cease to amaze me. For the record, Command Security (the parent organization the run Heritage Hills Security) is indeed a NYS DOH certified first response agency (http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/counties/westchester.htm) and certainly is authorized to use RL&S. Regardless I'm reminded of something a driving instructor once told us: "The right of way is always given, never taken."

Command Security is actually not NYS DOH certified (at least they werent when i was there 6 months ago), however, security companies are allowed to use RL&S on the private property they patrol. I do however wish the best for those involved in the accident and yes...moral of the story: BE CAREFUL!

Command Security is actually not NYS DOH certified (at least they werent when i was there 6 months ago), however, security companies are allowed to use RL&S on the private property they patrol. I do however wish the best for those involved in the accident and yes...moral of the story: BE CAREFUL!

If they are not using RLS under the authority vested in them under the DOH ruling (as Chris has provided a link indicating they do), what authority do they use them?

And since the accident happened on a Town Road (Warren St), and not wholly inside the confines of Heritage Hills, they weren't really on "private property" as you say, no?

effd3918 likes this

Perhaps Rob can chime in since he works there currently and can tell us if the command trucks have current NYS DOH inspection stickers on em. That would pretty much confirm it for us. I know the listing isn't always up to date (heck, Dutchess' listing used to and still might show the Taconic DDSO Facility in Wassaic as being not only ACTIVE but an ALS agency (were they ever a paramedic agency?)).

Taken from the NYS DOH web site, this shows the Command Security is DOH certified for BLS Non-Transporting First Response Services

Agency Name Address Level of Care

NYSDOH

Banksville Independent Fire Company, Inc. 33 Bedford-Greenwich Rd., Bedford Basic Life Support

Bedford Police Department, Town of 307 Bedford Road, Bedford Hills Basic Life Support

City of White Plains, Department of Public Safety 77 S. Lexington Avenue, White Plains Basic Life Support

Command Security Corporation 300 Hamilton Avenue Suite 300, White Plains Basic Life Support

Cortlandt Regional Paramedics 1 Heady Street, Cortlandt Manor Paramedic

Croton Falls Fire District PO Box 381, Croton Falls Basic Life Support

Eastchester Fire Department, Town of 255 Main Street, Eastchester Basic Life Support

Eastchester Police Dept, Town of 40 Mill Road, Eastchester Basic Life Support

Fairview Fire Department 19 Rosemont Road, White Plains Basic Life Support

Golden's Bridge Fire Department 254 Wacabuc Road, Golden's Bridge Basic Life Support

Greenville Fire Department 711 Central Avenue, Scarsdale Basic Life Support

Harrison Police Department 650 North Street, Harrison Basic Life Support

Hartsdale Fire District 300 West Hartsdale Avenue, Hartsdale Basic Life Support

Lake Mohegan Fire District Main Street, Route 6 Mohegan Lake Basic Life Support

Larchmont Fire Department 120 Larchmont Avenue, Larchmont Basic Life Support

Mamaroneck Fire Department, Town of 205 Weaver Street, Larchmont Basic Life Support

Mount Vernon Fire Department, City of 470 East Lincoln Avenue, Mount Vernon Basic Life Support

New Castle Police Department 200 South Greeley Avenue, Chappaqua Basic Life Support

New Rochelle Fire Department, City of 90 Beaufort Place, New Rochelle Basic Life Support

North Castle Police Department, Town of 15 Bedford Road, Armonk Basic Life Support

North White Plains Volunteer Fire Department 621 North Broadway, North White Plains Basic Life Support

Ossining Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc. ALSFR 8 Clinton Avenue, Ossining Paramedic

Peekskill Fire Department, City of 828 Main Street, Peekskill Basic Life Support

Pelham Fire Department 219 Fifth Avenue, Pelham Basic Life Support

Port Chester Fire Department 209 Westchester Avenue, Port Chester Basic Life Support

Port Chester Police Department, Village of 350 North Main Street, Port Chester Basic Life Support

Rye Police Department, City of 21 Third Street, Rye Basic Life Support

South Salem Fire Department South Salem Basic Life Support

Tuckahoe Police Department, Village of 65 Main Street, Tuckahoe Basic Life Support

Yonkers Fire Department, City of 5-7 New School Street, Yonkers Basic Life Support

Yonkers Police Department, City of 730 E. Grassy Sprain Road, Yonkers Basic Life Support

Yorktown Police Department, Town of 2281 Crompond Road, Yorktown Heights Basic Life Support

Edited by notch138

Not to hijack the thread, but why does Westchester use PIAA instead of say a MVA with injuries? I know its the same thing basically, just curious.

Since when does LoHud include pictures of patients during extrications.... no such thing as privacy anymore?

First off..... Lets all wish our fellow Emergency Services brother a speedy and health recovery before we question and tear apart his place of work.

So, to the injured EMT, I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet soon.

Not to hijack the thread, but why does Westchester use PIAA instead of say a MVA with injuries? I know its the same thing basically, just curious.

Because Westchester does. I'm not being snarky, but its been that way for as long as I've been around and at this point is part of the local vernacular.

Since when does LoHud include pictures of patients during extrications.... no such thing as privacy anymore?

There is no right to privacy out in public.

On what do you base the highlighted statement? The roads in Heritage Hills, like many other private roads, are in fact governed by the Vehicle and Traffic Law so the "private property exception" you claim wouldn't apply. Can you please cite the law making this possible?

Thank you.

On what do you base the highlighted statement? The roads in Heritage Hills, like many other private roads, are in fact governed by the Vehicle and Traffic Law so the "private property exception" you claim wouldn't apply. Can you please cite the law making this possible?

Thank you.

Not sure where exactly it is chris but that is what was explained to me by the FTO when I was working there.

Not sure where exactly it is chris but that is what was explained to me by the FTO when I was working there.

You should ask whoever told you that to cite the source. I'm aware of no such provision regarding emergency lighting in the Vehicle and Traffic Law so it may be locker room lawyer talk.

INIT, have you ever heard of any such provision for private property?

This is why if you post a statement about a law/regulation/statute/etc. here on EMTBravo we ask that you post a citation to the source so others can review the actual document. Much is lost in translation and interpretation.

Thanks!