Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

N.Y. Passes New Emergency Light Law

37 posts in this topic

Blah blah blah...........warning lights people......warning lights!

WHO CARES!

I ride around in a big red engine or truck. It has flashing lights and we use it on streets highways ect.....The only thing that is really going to make a difference for your safety is YOU! Use your head and pay attention. I've been standing on the highway and seen people work REALLY hard to squeeze their car between the flares we put up to close a portion of the road. I've had motorcycles weave right through the firemen on the scene.

Lights, stripes, ribbons, flares don't matter that much. The only thing that will keep you safe is using your head and some proper rig placement. The only thing that's going to keep you safe and stop drivers from coming near you while you work is to make them UNABLE to.

well said. I agree 100% with you. I was thinking the exact same.

But good for NY. I am glad they can use rear facing blues. its a good color and I hope it brings them more safety. period.

Blah blah blah...........warning lights people......warning lights!

WHO CARES!

I ride around in a big red engine or truck. It has flashing lights and we use it on streets highways ect.....The only thing that is really going to make a difference for your safety is YOU! Use your head and pay attention. I've been standing on the highway and seen people work REALLY hard to squeeze their car between the flares we put up to close a portion of the road. I've had motorcycles weave right through the firemen on the scene.

Lights, stripes, ribbons, flares don't matter that much. The only thing that will keep you safe is using your head and some proper rig placement. The only thing that's going to keep you safe and stop drivers from coming near you while you work is to make them UNABLE to.

Couldn't have been said better.

Nothing like a thread on emergency lighting to get this board rockin. :rolleyes::blink:

Now to just get blue as a forward facing color too, like the rest of the United States, heck the rest of the WORLD!

Rear only.

(Just playing Devil's Advocate here and bringing up an interesting, yet often overlooked loophole):

Under what authority do you use Amber lights? This is somewhat of a trick question.

I run Red/White in the front dash of my POV, with Blue and Red in the Grill, and Red and Amber in the rear, In New Mexico You can have whatever lights you want on your POV/Apparatus as long as the person driving and placing the apparatus has a Class E license as well as the mandatory Apparatus Placement Class provided by the state.

(Just playing Devil's Advocate here and bringing up an interesting, yet often overlooked loophole):

Under what authority do you use Amber lights? This is somewhat of a trick question.

VAT - Vehicle and Traffic

Article 9 - EQUIPMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES

§ 375. Equipment.

3. Amber lights. a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a

hazard vehicle, and such a light or lights which display an amber light

visible to all approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions

from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be

displayed on a hazard vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a

hazardous operation. Such light or lights shall not be required to be

displayed during daylight hours provided at least two red flags visible

from a distance of five hundred feet are placed both in or on the front

of, and to or on the rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed

to each side of the vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need

not be displayed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or

parked, within a barricaded work area and said lights or flags are

displayed on the barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not

prohibit the temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used

as a warning on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it

is stopped on a highway while engaged in an operation which would

restrict, impede or interfere with the normal flow of traffic.