Truck vs Low Bridge in Rye (Pics)

12 posts in this topic

Date: 09/09/10

Time: 1200hrs

Location: Purchase Street x Station Plaza at MTA track overpass

Frequency: RPD 155.525 / MTA

Units Operating: RPD /MTA / MTAPD/ Hannigan's Towing

Weather Conditions: Cloudy and Cool

Description Of Incident: Commercial Truck traveling Northbound on Purchase Street hit a MTA overpass. Street was closed white Hannigan's Towing tried to pull it out. Train Service was not affected. There was no damage to the bridge.

Reporters: firedude

Writer: firedude

Sorry for the crappy Pics...

5.jpg

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Did they pull it out with a tow truck or flatten the tires and drive it out?

I was thinking the same thing. It doesnt look like they flattened the tires.

I was not there for the whole event but I did see them letting air out of the tires. But I do not think it was in a "driving conditon" so it was towed out.

Look at the rust spots and dents from previous hits. That "Low Bridge" sign is doing a great job.

Look at the rust spots and dents from previous hits. That "Low Bridge" sign is doing a great job.

The lone commenter on the article has the right idea. It is too costly to modify this route so better signage and a pre-bridge height warning of chains hung to 10 ft 7in will do the trick.... This technique is cheap and used in parking garages, and tunnels all over the metro NY area.

Are you sure that truck is stuck there, and not just delivering that bridge? :P

By pulling the truck backward, in this case the clearance increases, so once it was unwedged it was probably drivable. When you "skin a box" though, most kiss their job good-bye. That's what stinks about seeing these. Yes, the driver is responsible for clearances. One little lapse is all it takes. Delivery guys/gals are under constant time pressures. Add that to one overpass that you can actually get under, but can't get out from under, and it's good-bye paycheck. Sucks.

There was a case many years ago in South Norwalk where a delivery truck had gone under a bridge many times before, but one time there was a train going over the bridge and it made it sag juuuuust enough...