Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rpbravest29fd

Ferrara Begins Constructions On FDNY Rescue Trucks

43 posts in this topic

FDNY apparatus usually get replaced every 5 years. After five years, they serve as a spare.

I don't think they're on a 5 year schedule. Many of the rigs getting replaced in the fleet in the current order are pushing 10 years.

I don't think they're on a 5 year schedule. Many of the rigs getting replaced in the fleet in the current order are pushing 10 years.

Correct. For front line apparatus 10 years in service plus 2 as a spare for engines and ladders. The rescues are replaced as needed, the current rigs are only 8 years old replacing 5 year old HME rigs lost at the towers which were replacing 5 year old Macks.

Rescue 1 was replaced with the current rig after 4 years.

The Pelham engine is basically an FDNY rig that was never delivered to FDNY. It was even in FDNY graphics, and used by Ferrara as a demonstrator before Pelham picked it up. I remember they had it down in Baltimore a few years ago. The only other FDNY Engines like this one are 54, 258, and 26. I was assigned to 54 Engine when they got their Ferrara. I didn't like it.....................

Mt. Vernon's engine's were built to FDNY specs.

Pelham Engine 5 is a 2004 Ferrara Ultra Cab (Discontinued) design which was originally built for FDNY as a High Pressure unit and never delivered (as previously stated). We had the high pressure pump removed and replaced with a single stage 1500 gpm Waterous and also added compartmentation and a hydraulic generator and a few other minor changes. In addition to having been a demo for Ferrara before we bought it the rig was used in the last season of Third Watch as Squad 55 ( I believe it was called). So far it has served us well.

Looking forward to seeing the new FDNY Rescues, Rearmounts and new Haz-Mat 1 down the road.

Edited by JAD622

View Postforeman1923, on 25 November 2010 - 01:16 AM, said:

As per rescue 4s web page the first ferrara will be going to them

According to Rescue 2's website, the first Ferrara rescue will be going to them.

Maybe they're gonna share it? :D

Is the pierce rescue 1 not holding up? It is only 5 years old is it not? Why is it being replaced so soon?

I've heard that the Pierce is holding up fine and that the members like it, however, it doesn't really fit into the uniformity the shops likes to have in apparatus. 5, basically, identical rescues. I think it'll be the last of the 5 to be replaced though. I'm sure it will serve well in the spare pool.

Looks like the first is going to Rescue 5. That's what the lettering reads on the ferrara website. Check out the photos.

Looks like the first is going to Rescue 5. That's what the lettering reads on the ferrara website. Check out the photos.

Here is the direct link to the pic with the "R 5" on the front bumper FDNY Rescue. This unit looks to be the farthest along, whether it will be first delivered, the page does not say.

Does Rescue 5 have the lowest amount of volume as compared to the others? Maybe it's going to Staten Island first to work out any "kinks"? Does FDNY do that kinda stuff, or is R-5 just due?

Serious question...are those blue lights on the back of the rescue? I believe they are, but then again I am colorblind.

Serious question...are those blue lights on the back of the rescue? I believe they are, but then again I am colorblind.

They sure are. I myself was surprised to see 'em.

Does Rescue 5 have the lowest amount of volume as compared to the others? Maybe it's going to Staten Island first to work out any "kinks"? Does FDNY do that kinda stuff, or is R-5 just due?

The photos on the Ferrara web site seem to change a lot. It's hard to say how far along each rig is. At one point there were photos of R5 fully striped and now they're gone and the most recent photos are of the rig without the complete graphics package. Who knows....

All in all, they look to be set to arrive one after the other, in fairly short order. While R5 does do the lowest volume, it's not by much and they still run a lot. I think you'll see them all replaced over the course of a couple of months. I don't think there is a plan to "shake one down" before the others are delivered. It looks like they're all to far along to be able to have much trial time on the first before the rest arrive.

I'm making an educated guess.

They sure are. I myself was surprised to see 'em.

Really? You are? Why, 'cause it's a secret that blue in the rear is more visable? :blink:

I hope this isn't what keeps you up at night?