Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Newark Chief, 31 chief officers to retire Wednesday

5 posts in this topic

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/newarks_fire_chief_of_40_years.html

“I’m worried about the safety of the citizens and the firefighters. We’re trying to do more with less, but we’re beyond that,” Lalor said. “I don’t want anybody hurt or killed on my watch, and I feel that the reduction in manpower could have an effect on some safety issues.”

A Veteran Fire Chief said:

"I'm worried about the safety of the citizens and the firefighters. We're trying to do more with less, but we're beyond that," Lalor said. "I don't want anybody hurt or killed on my watch, and I feel that the reduction in manpower could have an effect on some safety issues."

City spokeswoman Esmeralda Diaz Cameron responds:

Newark will continue to provide adequate fire protection and safety will not be a concern despite the layoffs.

Spoken like a true (flak) mouthpiece, Esmerelda.

Go ahead, Keep your head in the sand, and pray that nobody gets hurt.

Hello? You just blew off 40 years of urban firefighting experience warning everyone, as opposed to your, what, ZERO, experience?

Most of New Jersey's career firefighters who have their time in to retire are retiring like crazy. They are all leaving before Christie changes the pension and caps payouts of used sick, vacation, and unpaid overtime. Can't blame them. Its happening all over the state.

Hello? You just blew off 40 years of urban firefighting experience warning everyone, as opposed to your, what, ZERO, experience?

The same sickness is infesting Philadelphia. Closed companies, rolling "brown outs" of other companies. Minor room and contents jobs are becoming AHWs or 2-alarmers. A 12-year old died and the City refused to acknowledge it was the result of the regular first-in being closed for a shift,.....

And really, what does a city need a "spokeswoman" for anyway? The mayor can't do the speaking? Wonder how much she makes. Probably enough to pay for a few firefighters.