Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Photography At Indoor Trade Shows-Tips?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips on taking photos at a fire trade show indoors?

I know about crowds and postioning, etc. I'm talking about lenes, filters, setting, any techniques that you have found helpful.

Also, I know I can't use a flash because of the reflective striping on apparatus.

Thanks!

Seth, use a lens with a low f/Stop to let as much light in as possible. A wide angle lens will help you get apparatus in (if thats what you are shooting). I usually set the exposure time to 1/30th of a second, but you might find you have problems with blurring at this speed so be careful. If you are photographing models, use a macro capable lens. Increasing your ISO will allow more light in, but will also increase noise. This setting will be dependent on the camera as some of the new Nikons look great at iso 3200 where some of the older ones are atrocious at iso 800 and above.

I would usually shoot at f/2.8 @ 1/30th or 1/60th with an iso of 400-800.

Also, you can use a flash with fire apparatus, you just need a good diffuser to keep from getting ghosts when shooting the reflective striping. It also helps to aim the flash above the subject and bounce the light down on to it.

HTH!

Edited by FDNY 10-75

Thanks guys. I don't have a wide angle lens,right now only shooting with a Canon 18-55 IS and a Tamron Digital 18-250 with IS if that matters. Great everyday lenses. I believe they are macro capable.

Seth, 18mm is plenty wide angle, in fact anything less is considered ultra wide. ;)

Thanks again Eli and FJB, it worked well, lighting was great inside the exhibit hall. My only problem was the people getting in the way....I've got to find an "in" next year so I can go in and snap photos before they let in the masses...

My photos are posted in the "All Other Photos" section....let me know what you think....

The shots look great Seth. As far as getting an 'in', there must be a "load day" which is usually a day or two before where the various companies bring the trucks, wash them outside and then bring them into the building. I have always had great luck at the NY & NE fire shows shooting the apparatus the day before (although one or two always manage to slip by).