Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Santa Monica KME Engines

9 posts in this topic

While at the KME plant last week Santa Monica, CA had three of their four KME Engines in the Delivery Garage at the plant. The following are some pic's.

post-27-071280400 1287192125.jpg

post-27-080183200 1287192142.jpg

post-27-063569500 1287192157.jpg

post-27-095981000 1287192173.jpg

post-27-065706700 1287192196.jpg

post-27-079111700 1287192212.jpg

post-27-010361700 1287192228.jpg

Any idea what the small diamond plate door without a compartment (middle of hose bed) is for?

Any idea what the small diamond plate door without a compartment (middle of hose bed) is for?

You have to unlock that to get to the hosebed.

You have to unlock that to get to the hosebed.

I believe that the sun beats down on you pretty hard down there in the keys.

As a matter of fact I do know what it is for. I asked that same question to one of the SMFD members who was at the plant. He stated that that is where they store there 4 way LDH valve.

The rig had some interesting features, including locks on all compartments and an electric push button lock for the Drivers door. I was told this is because when they respond to wildfires in CA. they can leave the rig unattended for several days. A neat "toy" they also have is a powered extend-a-gun with a wireless remote control monitor nozzle. The hose tray in the rear bed to the right of that little diamond plate door is pinned so it looks like the tray can be removed. And the last feature to mention is they have tie downs on the floor of the rear cab to tie down any additional equipment they may need to take with them when they respond in a task force. Interesting rig.

Great photos. Did they mention where the 4th one was? To be built after these three?

Great photos. Did they mention where the 4th one was? To be built after these three?

I believe I saw it being driven elsewhere at the plant while these three were inside.

Also, from the markings on the roofs it looks like these are Engines 1, 2, & 5 (or whatever designation they use at SMFD).