Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Uniden BC246T Programming Help

12 posts in this topic

While I have been programming scanners now for many years, manual programming seems to be a thing of the past. Just like with portable radios, they really need to be programmed via computer. A friend of mine just gave me a scanner to program and I feel like a dope because I cannot figure it out manually.

Does anyone have the full version software for the Uniden BC246T that they can email me in a zip file?

Also, my laptop only has a db12 pin female connection and the scanner programming cable is a db9 pin female connection.

Does anyone know where I can get a male - male adaptor to I can program this damn thing?

Thank you in advance!

I've never seen a DB-12 on a laptop. Are you sure it isn't a DB-15 (three rows of five pin) which would be a VGA video connector (for plugging in a monitor). The actual VGA standard only uses 12 pins, so there might only be 12 pins on the DB-15 plug (http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml). The BC246T uses a serial interface and most laptops made in the last five years don't have D-subminiature (DB-9 or DB-25) serial plugs. You're probably going to be looking for a Serial (DB-(9) to USB adapter.

Edited by Doc

I've never seen a DB-12 on a laptop. Are you sure it isn't a DB-15 (three rows of five pin) which would be a VGA video connector (for plugging in a monitor). The actual VGA standard only uses 12 pins, so there might only be 12 pins on the DB-15 plug (http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml). The BC246T uses a serial interface and most laptops made in the last five years don't have D-subminiature (DB-9 or DB-25) serial plugs. You're probably going to be looking for a Serial (DB-(9) to USB adapter.

I stand corrected, it is a DB15 connector, problem is that its a double female that I need....

I stand corrected, it is a DB15 connector, problem is that its a double female that I need....

If you can't find an adapter for the connector, Scannermaster sells a USB programming cable for the BC246T.

I will program ANY scanner for less than what the scanner companies are asking. PM me.

A friend asked me to program his scanner for him and I am doing him a favor, I guess I am going to have to get a cable or figure out how to do it manually.

I found a way to connect to my computer, I just need the full version and not the crappy demo software. Can anyone help me with this? Maybe just send to me in a zip file or provide me with the keycode if it works that way? Thank you in advance for your help.

Doug

While I have been programming scanners now for many years, manual programming seems to be a thing of the past. Just like with portable radios, they really need to be programmed via computer. A friend of mine just gave me a scanner to program and I feel like a dope because I cannot figure it out manually.

"trauma74", Don't feel too bad. I'm completely lost when it comes to programming all this High Tech stuff. From scanners to computers to cell phones. I hardly understand the language like downloading, mega somethings etc. But I can add 2 + 2 without a calculator. We all have our given gifts and talents. That's what keeps this world turning.

I know that I'm alittle off track here, but I'm just really kind of proud of myself for being able to post this. "Just like Abe Lincoln, I'm a self learned man".

BuTel Software has a full feature demo software available. You can build ten systems for free, then you have to buy a key.

It's only $40 bucks, and if you're going to be doing this for other people it will pay for itself in no time.

http://www.butelsoftware.com/

From the menu on the left, select Software/Uniden/BC246T.

The software package for this radio is ARC246

BuTel Software has a full feature demo software available. You can build ten systems for free, then you have to buy a key.

It's only $40 bucks, and if you're going to be doing this for other people it will pay for itself in no time.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I will give it a try!

Further to make life even easier, if you get a subscription over at RadioReference.com, you can directly import their frequency databases into the ARC software, and have it ready to write to the scanner in a few clicks!. Sweet!

Jack,

Thank you for your help with this, I found a computer at my parents house that had the correct male connector I needed. I downloaded the butelsoftware and after some tinkering, I think I got it working correctly. Unfortunatley, since I hadny slept in over 24 hours,

I had to take a break from the programming and I will finish it tomorrow.

I do plan on doing this as a business, so I will be eventually purchasing the different software and cables with connectors that I need to hunt for. USB cables will work just fine once I get them. I just have to get a little capital first before I can purchase these items. Luckily, I was able to access my hard drive even though my computer crapped out. I have the full paid for versions of BCT15 and BC898T software on the computer and I should be able to recover them and use them.

Thanks Again!