Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RocklandFires

3 Generations of Haverstraw Tillers

12 posts in this topic

The Haverstraw Fire Department recently took delivery of their 2010 KME TDA. The KME replaces a 1969 Peter Pirsch TDA which recently failed it's ladder testing. The 1969 Pirsch replaced a 1937 Peter Pirsch TDA which is now privately owned by a member of the Haverstraw Fire Department. Here is a historic photo of all 3 tillers. Will post individual shots later in the week. Photos are viewable on my website.

3Tillers.jpg

http://www.brianduddy.com/g/haverstraw

efdcapt115 and IzzyEng4 like this

Cool pictures. Good luck with the new tiller!

will the owner of the 1937 tiller planning on purchasing the recently retired girl ?

will the owner of the 1937 tiller planning on purchasing the recently retired girl ?

Things are in the works to retain the 1969 Pirsch, that's all I can say !

Very nice! Is that a wooden extension ladder?

Yes it is and believe it or not, wooden two section aerial ladders (the longest at 85') were built up until the 1950's, long after steel aerials were introduced in the late 1930s / early 1940s! FDNY was known to continue buying wood aerials along with steel aerials during the transition period.

Its good to see that a lot of departments that operated TDAs either have kept with them or are placing them back into service.

Nice shots Brian!

Things are in the works to retain the 1969 Pirsch, that's all I can say !

VERY SMART !!!

Not to many places can produce a lineup of past and present rigs like that, also very nice to see another all volunteer company continue running a tiller!! Way to go Haverstraw Rescue Hook and ladder!

Yes it is and believe it or not, wooden two section aerial ladders (the longest at 85') were built up until the 1950's, long after steel aerials were introduced in the late 1930s / early 1940s! FDNY was known to continue buying wood aerials along with steel aerials during the transition period.

Its good to see that a lot of departments that operated TDAs either have kept with them or are placing them back into service.

Nice shots Brian!

Yes but I was noting that the (24'?) extension ladder on the officer's side of the 2010 KME TDA looks like it's made of wood!

Yes but I was noting that the (24'?) extension ladder on the officer's side of the 2010 KME TDA looks like it's made of wood!

Ahhhh!! Just remember "It's good with wood!" :)