Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Westchester Street Level Photography Project

15 posts in this topic

STREET-LEVEL PHOTOGRAPHY COLLECTION IN WESTCHESTER COUNTY

Does anyone know how the street and aerial photography that is mentioned in this release from from DES will specifically be used to assist emergency services and management. The only reason I ask is a class I am taking at school is based off of imagery of this nature.

Pictometry_Notice.pdf

Does anyone know what data is being collected from these images? Purpose?

Someone should have told them they could get similar images from google......for free....

Does anyone know what data is being collected from these images? Purpose?

The email from DES has an attachment from the Westchester County GIS director who said it will be for tax assessment and emergency services. No other information.

Someone should have told them they could get similar images from google......for free....

There are many problems with the google imagery...one problem being all of the cloud cover, two being the tree/leaf cover, 3 being the angle the image is taken, 4 being the spatial resolution, 5 being the temporal resolution, 6 being the geocorrection, 7 being the atmospheric interference, 8 being the spectral resolution, 9 being the wavelengths used and 10 being the location and format of the digital image files.

But if they had several summer GIS interns, they could use USGS imagery for free and be able to correct all of these issues using a few simple programs.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Check out VPIKE.com Give it an address and POOF! You're in front of the building. You can walk, turn360, look up/down, zoom. I've used when EMT-B gives IA's.

Why I'll bet terrorists use it too.

Check out VPIKE.com Give it an address and POOF! You're in front of the building. You can walk, turn360, look up/down, zoom. I've used when EMT-B gives IA's.

Why I'll bet terrorists use it too.

VPIKE.com uses Google Earth imaging... No privacy anymore.

We have pictometry installed on our work computers. As a dispatcher, it definitely comes in handy. I have punched in my firehouse address to show you an example of what the images look like. You can select 4 different views. Here are all 4 views.

2010-11-01184815.jpg

2010-11-01184843.jpg

2010-11-01184854.jpg

2010-11-01184907.jpg

Now from any of the aerials there are a lot of options you can do. Here are just a few.

2010-11-01190307.jpg

Distance

2010-11-01190340.jpg

Height

2010-11-01190630.jpg

Area

2010-11-01190355.jpg

Latitude / Longitude

efdcapt115 likes this

We have pictometry installed on our work computers. As a dispatcher, it definitely comes in handy. I have punched in my firehouse address to show you an example of what the images look like. You can select 4 different views. Here are all 4 views.

That's very interesting. Nice work.

Edit: Wouldn't it be the greatest application to be able to send that to a command car's MDT....

Edited by efdcapt115

That's very interesting. Nice work.

Edit: Wouldn't it be the greatest application to be able to send that to a command car's MDT....

too bad we don't have MDTs liked to 60 control in westchester...maybe one day :blink:

Edited by Goose

There is an issue with Pictometry International. The issue comes with ability to keep the imagery up to date and accurate. I will be the first to admit a monumentous task. Pictometry International is the provider of the "bird's eye view" for Bing Maps. A glaring example of out of date data is the image for the Peekskill Middle School at 212 Ringgold Street which has been open an operational for 2 years and in their "2010 Images" it is shown as still in the early stages of construction. While I will agree that this is a valuable tool and aerial imagery is a important piece of information to an IC there is a big difference with the tactics for a fully occupied and operational building (school) and a construction site. It would be valuable if the images had a tag option that showed "last update" for a specific view that way if you were looking at 3 week old data you would weigh it differently than if you were looking at 3 year old images.

efdcapt115 likes this

I looked up my friends house using the google maps street view and the cars in her drive way make it seems as if the image is 8 years old...

Imagery isn't real-time. In most cases they are updated periodically (every few years seems to be the norm). Unless you're DOD or one of our intelligence agencies, we can't afford real-time imagery.

Bergen County NJ has a similar mapping program and they have bought a license for every municipality in Bergen. Some PD/FD's use it and some don't. It does have a lot of potential, you can add "layers" to the map. Bergen's shows every hydrant location as a layer. I've added floor plans to our map for the schools, just click on the school on the map and the floor plans will pop up. Some dispatch center's also have it tied into 911 calls, so the lat and long of the cell caller is plotted on the map for you. I saw one demonstration of what Ridgewood NJ has done with there map, and it was very impressive, you just need someone who knows how to add to it and keep it up to date.

Scott

Nice topic spion off from the Westchester project. As someone who is a moderate techie with some of the things mentioned can you print the pictures? I'm working on a project to improve pre plans and to be honest develop some. I like aerial pics in addition to those we take of the front and any hazards found on the other sides. If you can't take pics..what software is out there that will allow you too so I can approach our IT peeps and look like I know what I'm talking about. ;)

Nice topic spion off from the Westchester project. As someone who is a moderate techie with some of the things mentioned can you print the pictures? I'm working on a project to improve pre plans and to be honest develop some. I like aerial pics in addition to those we take of the front and any hazards found on the other sides. If you can't take pics..what software is out there that will allow you too so I can approach our IT peeps and look like I know what I'm talking about. ;)

Use the "ALT" + "PRTSC SYSRQ" keys to print the screen to memory. Then you can paste it into something like a word document with "CTRL" + "V" and even double click it and use the format commands to "CROP" it to just the area you want and size and move it around. Great way to jazz up your pre-plans and reports with professional looking aerial shots.

Edited by PEMO3