Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

MDU

17 posts in this topic

While at work this quiet night I was looking over the 2005 WC apparatus listings from the WCDES site and I saw something called MDU's. There were 3 listed including 1 for Town of Cortlandt. Could someone give us an idea of what a MDU is or does.

On a side note, whats the difference between a Squad and a Squad Support Unit?

I've got to stop working midnights. I'm finding so much stuff out there.

An MDU is a Mask Decon Unit.

The Squads and Squad Support Units are the busses and trailers that the county distributed for the special haz-mat type incidents. I am still looking into it for further info for you, check back tomorrow night for some updates. The more I find out, the more I will post.

I thought that MDU was Mass Decon Unit,that is the Initals on the one we have sitting in Katonah FD.

I thought that MDU was Mass Decon Unit,that is the Initals on the one we have sitting in Katonah FD. It is to be manned by The Town of Bedford FD,s and Mt. Kisco , Has the wash down tent, heaters to heat water , there are tyvek suits to give to people (civilians) if we had to do a mass Deconn if they came out of a WMD or haz mat incident also can be used to deconn firefighters at haz mat or WMD, there are varios hoses and brushes etc.

EJS-If I am not mistaken the MDU's as they are called here are similar if not identical to the 2 un marked trailers out back at the T.O.P.S. building. They carry all that. The white Ford Pick-Up is there to tow them.

port chester has a MDU At the south end firehouse

MDU-2, stationed at Port Chester South End, is staffed by members of Sound Shore FD's. PCFD is responsible for maintenance, tow vehicle and administrative tasks associated with the trailer.

EFD shares one with Scarsdale and New rochelle

I thought that MDU was Mass Decon Unit,that is the Initals on the one we have sitting in Katonah FD.

Oops - Minor typo, you are correct. It is Mass Decon Unit

MDU stands for Mass Decon Unit

Squad is a Level "A" response team that consists of piece of apparatus (not designated which type, left up to the individual squads), the SSU (discussed next) and a minimum of 6 trained/qualified Haz-Mat Technicians.

Squad Support Unit are the old Paratransit Buses converted into "utilities" for use by the appropriate squads. They are designed to pull the Level "A" trailers (but has enough equipment onboard to handle most responses. The trailers only have to be deployed if needed or requested, based on the incident.

It is kind of scary to know there is alot of equipment in this county with special names and or letters of some kind , and there isn't to much training going on to educate the members who are going to

be called on to use it. Just read some of these previous posts. IT IS VERY SCARY- We don't even know what to call it. [-o< [-o< :sad: :cry:

I'm sure those who are trained on it know what it is called and what it's role is.

Well I can attest that The Town Of Bedford FD's had Training on the MDU in September right before the Republican Convention in NYC we trained on it got all the equipment straightened out.All the propane tanks are filled and ready to gofor heaters all the battery powered equipment is

.fully charged.

The orginal post came from some one in another county asking what it meant.

Not trying to start anything with any body so do not take it that way.

It is kind of scary to know there is alot of equipment in this county with special names and or letters of some kind , and there isn't to much training going on to educate the members who are going to    

be called on to use it.  

This is not the fault of the county. There have been numerous meetings at the DES regarding this concept before any trailers or buses were issued (with the exception of the six original squads). Reprentatives off ALL county FD's and VAC's were asked to attend.

Even if the ABC Fire Department is part of the squad, Joe Blow firefighter can not be unless he has a minimum of hazmat tech along with an in-service of the equiptment.

HAZMAT tech is only required for the Squads. HAZMAT First Responder and Mass Decon/Trailer Training for the MDU.

pbvpm,

I think if you look into the actual numbers you'll be astonished at the number of members trained in the use of these trailers. But then again you've never let the facts get in the way of your opinions before so why bother now?

Easy guys, no bashing