Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Connecticut Police Cadet "SWAT Challenge"

7 posts in this topic

This is a bit late, I'm posting this as I'm shining my boots and getting my BDUs ready for this competition, but oh well.

The second annual Connecticut Police Cadet SWAT Challenge will be held tomorrow at Stones Ranch/Camp Rell in East Lyme, CT.

This event is based off of the Federal Way, WA Tactical Explorer Challenge, which I attended in the past as part of the Northeast Regional Law Enforcement Explorer Association (now the NE Regional Law Enforcement Education Association) Travel Team. Their event is extremely in depth and was the inspiration for this competition to be brought to Connecticut.

Events:

High Risk Search Warrant (6-8 Cadets)

Bus Assault (6-8 Cadets)

Rapid Deployment [unknown Response] (6-8 Cadets)

Drug Warrant (6-8 Cadets)

Sniper Challenge (2 Cadets)

Hogan’s Alley [Airsoft shoot/don't shoot course] (2 Cadets)

High Risk Motor Vehicle Stop (4-6 Cadets)

Hostage Rescue (6-8 Cadets)

Tactical Relay Race (6-8 Cadets)

NOTE: These competitions are not scored on your ability to act as a functional tactical team, (hence, they are not teaching us how to be a real SWAT team.) Instead, the competitions are based on the following:

1. Ability to work as a team

2. Ability to make and follow a plan, including contingency plans

3. Communications (verbal, nonverbal, radio) with teammates, civilians and suspects

4. Basic officer safety (muzzle orientation, knock-and-announce, interview stance, proper first aid, etc)

5. Ability to follow directions

Another important note, some units may decide to use tactical gear in their scenarios. This will INCREASE the difficulty of grading, IE: if you are using a piece of tactical gear (shields, etc) improperly, it will deduct points, whereas if you do not use one at all, no points can be deducted for improper use.

Last year we had an AWESOME time and the Danbury Police Explorers placed in every event and came in First Place Overall, we hope to do well again tomorrow. Wish us luck! I'll probably give a rundown of the turnout tomorrow.

Best of luck to all of you. Some of you are my firefighter "brothers", and I know how dedicated you are to the Danbury Police Explorer program, so I will be rooting for you completely and wholeheartedly. Have a great time and hope you all do well again!

Haha, thanks Sue. 849 will be there as well and is acting as my "Tactical Medic," since he's the only person in the group who is an EMT. I'll pawn all the hard medical stuff off on him!

Does an EMS bag or stethoscope count as tactical gear? 849 should get points for using them right, unless he gets a tad excited and uses them to take down a "suspect" in one of the scenarios. Anything is possible...I think.

Alright, so here's the rundown of how the Danbury Police Explorers "ESU" did today at the competition.

1st Place: High-Risk Traffic Stop

1st Place: Hogan's Alley

1st Place: Hostage Rescue

2nd Place: Bus Assault

2nd Place: Team Challenge

2nd Place: High-Risk Warrant Service

2nd Place: Narcotics Warrant Service

And for the second year in a row, Danbury Police Explorers ESU has taken the 1st Place Overall trophy for this competition. I am extremely proud of my team for a job well done.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to put up in the next few days.

Participating Posts:

Danbury, CT Police Explorers

Scarborough, Maine Police Explorers

Vernon, CT Police Explorers

Bristol, CT Police Explorers

Bridgeport, CT Police Explorers (Their first competition, the post just started last summer, took 1st Place in the Team Challenge)

East Lyme, CT Police Explorers

Connecticut State Police Troop K Public Safety Explorers

Trumbull, CT Police Explorers

Naugatuck, CT Police Explorers

Waterbury, CT Police Explorers

Fairfield, CT Police Explorers

Great job to everyone involved and thanks for the Police Officers, Civilian Advisors and US Army National Guardsmen who assisted in coordinating the event.

Alright, so here's the rundown of how the Danbury Police Explorers "ESU" did today at the competition.

1st Place: High-Risk Traffic Stop

1st Place: Hogan's Alley

1st Place: Hostage Rescue

2nd Place: Bus Assault

2nd Place: Team Challenge

2nd Place: High-Risk Warrant Service

2nd Place: Narcotics Warrant Service

And for the second year in a row, Danbury Police Explorers ESU has taken the 1st Place Overall trophy for this competition. I am extremely proud of my team for a job well done.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to put up in the next few days.

Participating Posts:

Danbury, CT Police Explorers

Scarborough, Maine Police Explorers

Vernon, CT Police Explorers

Bristol, CT Police Explorers

Bridgeport, CT Police Explorers (Their first competition, the post just started last summer, took 1st Place in the Team Challenge)

East Lyme, CT Police Explorers

Connecticut State Police Troop K Public Safety Explorers

Trumbull, CT Police Explorers

Naugatuck, CT Police Explorers

Waterbury, CT Police Explorers

Fairfield, CT Police Explorers

Great job to everyone involved and thanks for the Police Officers, Civilian Advisors and US Army National Guardsmen who assisted in coordinating the event.

Great Job, Alex!!! Congrats to the Danbury PD Explorers, on a job well done!!!!!

Thanks DOC, this will probably be one of my last competitions as an Explorer, since I'll probably be out in March. Good to go out on top I guess!