Followers 0
RescueKujo

Questions Raised Over California Firefighters' Residencies

7 posts in this topic

Some firefighters live out of state

SALvador, Register

Orange County Register (California)

November 28, 2010

If there's a major disaster, officials at the Orange County Fire Authority might have trouble getting all their firefighters to return quickly to their stations.

That's because some active members of the department live in Colorado, Utah, Texas, Illinois and Washington state.

OCFA Engineer Lloyd Pinel, for example, would have to wait for the next available flight from Third Lake, Ill. The 21-year veteran's home is a 30-minute drive from Lake Michigan but more than a three-hour flight from his station in Buena Park.

Fire Engineering Link

That's because some active members of the department live in Colorado, Utah, Texas, Illinois and Washington state.

Now THAT'S what you call a commute!

Sounds to me like another attempt at "Fireman bashing" by the Orange County Register.

Sounds to me like another attempt at "Fireman bashing" by the Orange County Register.

I don't really see it as bashing, but it's interesting to note that the State has no residency requirements, unlike New York.

I don't really see it as bashing, but it's interesting to note that the State has no residency requirements, unlike New York.

"Bashing" in the sense of them publishing non-stories to gain public sentiment AGAINST the firefighters..............Just like the NY Post's agenda against the FDNY!

efdcapt115, JFLYNN and M' Ave like this

Without any official restrictions on where they live, 37 percent of OCFA firefighters list their primary residence outside Orange County - with many living in the Inland Empire.

Question for Kujo: What constitutes the "Inland Empire"?

Question for Kujo: What constitutes the "Inland Empire"?

IE is namely comprised of Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Both county lines start east of Orange and LA counties and extend to the CA-AZ border. Commute times from Riverside (IE) to Irvine, for example, is about 40 minutes without traffic. If you live 'up the hill' in Apple Valley/Victorville/Hesperia (IE), you're looking at a 90 minute commute without traffic.

RescueKujo likes this