Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Retirements taken to avoid Newark firefighter layoffs may force city to close engine companies

7 posts in this topic

These guys saw the hand-writing on the wall, and got out while the getting was good.

The proposed layoffs would have had the same effect by closing companies, so don't lay blame on the guys who simply took their due.

I don't think it was "writing on the wall". I think it was guys who could get out and potentially save the jobs of younger guys and that's a stand up thing to do!

Newark was cutting positions anyway. Either way it would have resulted in the closure of companies. Except now the City can blame the "evil" union and "greedy" firefighters for the closures instead of themselves because it was retirements not layoffs.

I don't think it was "writing on the wall". I think it was guys who could get out and potentially save the jobs of younger guys and that's a stand up thing to do!

October 1st the NFD Chief and 31 Chief officers retired. They left not to save jobs but to insure they got the pensions that they earned.

Since almost 50% of the pension fund has been raided by the current and 3 previous govenors. The posability of it going into default is a real issue. Interesting that very little has been mentioned about the Federal SEC sending out supenas <sp> to the pension officals....something about securities fraud.

October 1st the NFD Chief and 31 Chief officers retired. They left not to save jobs but to insure they got the pensions that they earned.

Since almost 50% of the pension fund has been raided by the current and 3 previous govenors. The posability of it going into default is a real issue. Interesting that very little has been mentioned about the Federal SEC sending out supenas <sp> to the pension officals....something about securities fraud.

Unfortunately it is a double edge sword while yes some think about getting their pension but others do think taking a "gold hand shake" will help others out. But that is the nature of the beast when it comes to layoffs and preventing them no matter what line of work you are in.

Newark was cutting positions anyway. Either way it would have resulted in the closure of companies. Except now the City can blame the "evil" union and "greedy" firefighters for the closures instead of themselves because it was retirements not layoffs.

Newark and Jersey City are virtually side by side in real estate and how they conduct business. When we were going through arbitration it was the same law firm that represented both cities. So all the paralegal had to do was insert the appropriate city accordingly. Sometimes they did forget to change the City name and we did get a kick out of the in competence. They are all trying to take a page out of Gov Chris Christie's book in the bastardizing(sp?) of the union's especially the teachers Union (NJEA) here in NJ. But the Police & to some extent the fire are have a higher profile so we get the brunt of their finger waving. We just ran our first protest. Watch the media, watch youtube if you think any of the stuff we have done so far is good...all I can say is you haven't seen anything yet. We are at a 30 Year low of 833 Police Officers & Supervisors and they want to lay of 118 and demot 20 or so. Much more than half are either serving in the military or did 2 and 3 tours over there and are just rec"vng there DD-14's. Only to come home to a pink slip. We hired a forensic accountant, one of the best so we know where the money is and many guys have retired as a gesture of goodwill. But the problem is this in a nutshell.....ready? The politicians couldn't care less about you and your family even if you had to seek refuge under a railroad bridge. You have to know the secrets or be able to litigate them.

And everyone in Westchester County thought that the issues in Yonkers, with its Fire Department was serious, imaagine what is going on in Newark, New Jersey right now? PRETTY SERIOUS I WOULD SAY

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/loss_of_laid_off_newark_firefi.html

It's across the board not just Westchester or Newark. How about Camden NJ? Population about the same as New Rochelle. They have a work load that can compare to Detroit in scale and are losing 140 FF. 50% of the job. Lets get real America you cannot get rid of police and fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!