Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RescueKujo

69 Years Ago Today

6 posts in this topic

‎69 years ago today, a territory of the United States and other land masses and countries throughout the Pacific Ocean were attacked by surprise by the forces of the Japanese Navy and Army. The United States Army and Navy suffered great losses at many bases throughout the Islands of Hawaii. Please take a moment today and remember those who gave their lives that day....

Rest in Peace:

BMC Frank Kuhlow

SMN Raymond Kuhlow (Retired as a WO4)

Both survived that day of infamy, and continued to serve their country for many years after...

"December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy." - FDR

More from President Roosevelt's speech HERE

Here's some facts I found doing a Google search:

Pearl Harbor Info

God bless all of those lost that day, and those men who went on to fight in the Pacific & Europe to bring an end to WWII.

69 years, and most people today probably cant even tell you where Pearl Harbor is. I was lucky enough to visit in 2008, and it is a very moving experience seeing the USS Arizona Memorial. I heard more than one person remark about the oil that continues to seep out of the Arizona, like tear drops coming to the surface. As someone who took part in the rescue and recovery operations after 9/11, it gave me a better perspective of what those young sailors went through that morning. Actually hearing a Pearl Harbor survivor speak about events during the attack, really made it hit home. He had made his peace with everything that had happened, but the memories were still with him, like it was yesterday. Thankfully there are some of us today who understand the sacrifices made that day, and will continue to honor their memories today.

post-917-0-72743300-1291727360.jpg

post-917-0-35567400-1291727474.jpg

post-917-0-94389000-1291727548.jpg

post-917-0-47725800-1291727558.jpg

Edited by grumpyff
RescueKujo and Alpinerunner like this

Thanks for posting those pictures. An Honor to those we lost in that surprise attack. We need to Remember Pearl Harbor.

Grumpy-thanks for posting buddy. I have visited twice, the first time while my high school band was in Hawaii ( and none of my fellow bandmates understood the significance) and once in the Air Force. While going over to Ford Island to catch a helo out to one of the islands for a range clearance, I passed by the berth where my Grandfather's battleship was anchored during the attack (down by where the Missouri is now). His Captain saved the ship, as it was listing and getting ready to capsize while in the harbor. The Captain ordered all ballast tanks to be blown, causing the ship to right itself from the list and settle on the bottom. The USS California was taken to Washington state for repairs and actually fought a couple of the final battles in 1945,