Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFBlaser

Wrong Way Driver Collides with Transport Unit

13 posts in this topic

Wrong way drivers should have their license revoked for 1 year. after the year is up, they should be subject to another road test.

abaduck likes this

What in a road test, at least in NY, gives any indication that the driver can safely operate on a highway?

What in a road test, at least in NY, gives any indication that the driver can safely operate on a highway?

Or on any road for that matter. Driving in this country has become so dumbed down that virtually anyone can pass a road test, putting an army of idiot drivers on the road with the rest of us who actually care about driving well. Throw in the distracted driving issue, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Also, we need harsher DUI penalties. Not knowing the details of this case, I'd guess that this was a factor given the speed and wrong direction of travel.

Thoughts and prayers are with the injured EMT. Hope she makes a quick and easy recovery.

wonder where the other EMT was? Hopefully there was one.

I'm guessing most wrong way drivers are either under the influence or have mental or medical issues.

There was a recent news video of a driver, I believe in the Philadelphia area, travel 60+ in the left lane of a three lane highway going against traffic. She caused a couple of collision but managed to make it home before police caught up with her.

Wasn't it a year or two 6 people were killed somewhere in Westchester? I could research the particulars but I'm too lazy today.

Wasn't it a year or two 6 people were killed somewhere in Westchester? I could research the particulars but I'm too lazy today.

8 people killed on the Taconic State Parkway in Mt. Pleasant.

2004 2 people killed and a pregnant mother with 2yr old infant injured when wrong way driver on the TSP made it all the way from I-84 to Rt100 heading SB in the NB lane. Shortly thereafter another wreck involving an elderly couple (not at fault if I recall) and a tremendous MVA with fire involving a wrong way driver on the TSP I/A/O Rt100.

Valid point, but Its not really about how safely they operate on the highway. Its about how to read signs properly in order to avoid being on the wrong side of the highway.

My whole idea is just that, an idea....

+1 rep for FFBlaser for starting a good topic....

Usually, almost always, another car stops the wrong way driver.

I think that areas that have traffic manqagement centers, should coordinate with 911 and get messages up on the electronic billboards as soon as possible. They should also be actively monitoring traffic and have some sort of wrong direction detector on the entrance and exit ramps...maybe ever a barricade arm.

However, that doesn't account for the people who do it intentionally. Or in some areas of the country, they don't maintain highways very well and signage may be overlooked, poorly lit, blocked or missing complelty (cough, Saw Mill) and someone not familiar with the area could potentially be misled to the wrong direction. It takes a lot of ignorance, but if you are a competent driver you should realize almost immediately.

Oh yes, and MUCH tougher DUI laws and more money for DUI and nighttime traffic enforcement nationwide.

Over the course of the day, I have been getting details on the accident,

1. PD is investigating whether or not alcohol is involved

2. PD is also saying that the driver may have been responsible for another minor accident miles before

3. PD says that the vehicle was driving in excess of 100 mph for twelve miles

4. Also I believe the EMS unit was driving with 1 EMT because it is Normally a medical transport (non- emergency) also there was no patient so I think they were just moving the rig to a different location

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Woman-dies-in-head-on-collision--I-25-closed

I'll second that. I drive using what I call the 'seven minute rule'; I remember at all times that I'm surrounded by drivers who passed a test that lasts seven minutes and has a 99% pass rate or whatever it is...

(I was born and raised in the UK; there the road test lasts 45 minutes and has a less than 50% pass rate)

I vote for those tire puncture devices on all higway entrances that can be easily mistaken esp w/ impairment ie sawmill, taconic etc. Cheap one time cost, little to no upkeep or staffing. Stop them before they get miles down the highway and cause needless havoc.

FFBlaser and Alpinerunner like this

G

I vote for those tire puncture devices on all higway entrances that can be easily mistaken esp w/ impairment ie sawmill, taconic etc. Cheap one time cost, little to no upkeep or staffing. Stop them before they get miles down the highway and cause needless havoc.

Good idea in theory but...http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Would-road-spikes-help-prevent-wrong-way-drivers-617015.php

G

Good idea in theory but...http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Would-road-spikes-help-prevent-wrong-way-drivers-617015.php

pretty good reasons why not....