Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

NYC EMT's "mishaps" blamed for death....

8 posts in this topic

Nobody does pre-shift rig checks anymore to ensure that there are extra oxygen canisters and supplies? I'm curious to see if this was a FDNY bus or a 911 contractor bus.

Nobody does pre-shift rig checks anymore to ensure that there are extra oxygen canisters and supplies? I'm curious to see if this was a FDNY bus or a 911 contractor bus.

This is NYC we are talking about. It is easy to use all your o2 in one tour.

I find it doubtful that they ran out of O2 and waited on the scene for more. With 3 portables and an onboard it takes a lot of effort for a bus to have no 02. Beside why would you wait for oxygen when your in the bus. Ambulances have four wheels for a reason.

It sounds more like the family is making a misinformed allegation ( go figure), and that she coded in the bus on scene and the crew worked her while waiting for another crew to assist during transport. If they walked her down (something that happens all to often in NYC) they will have some questions to answer, but I wouldn't take an article written from only the families point of view as fact.

FDNY is supposed to carry 5 "D" tanks on the bus, two in bags and the other 3 get racked. How you can run out of oxygen is beyond me. I really do wonder though what the cross street was on 184th, and how far they were from Barnabas that they waited for another bus...

Time passes slowly when a loved one is in distress. I had one family member (an RN no less) complain to my bosses that I spent an hour on scene treating her mother's MI. The printout from 60 Control showed 22 minutes.

I think in this case the patient coded in a BLS rig and they called for an ALS intrcept which arrived while the EMTs were puting in an OPA, setting up an AED, and doing CPR.

i would like to reply to the comment that was made by wolf emt on that no body does pre shift rig checks any more. well i do a pre shift rig check every time i get to work at my station and the first thing i check is my oxygen. checking my vehical befor my tour starts is a big pet peeve of mine. i work as a emt basic in the bronx and have been working in the nyc-ems system since 1988 and still check my vehical now just as thorough as i did back then. JOE BAGS

that above comment was sarcasm at the situation.