Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Metro North & NYC Transit Track Snow Removal

10 posts in this topic

Last month, I read an article in "Trains" magazine about snow removal mostly on freight tracks in some of the more snow prone areas of the country.

With all these cancelled and stuck trains, I wonder, what does Metro North and NYC Transit do to clear trackage of snow and ice? Do they have a snowthrower or other type of snow removal train?

How do they do it?

NYCT uses specially built train snow throwers and turbine powered snow blowers. Very effective, but the high winds (and probably the rate the snow came down) caused some serious issues throughout. Below are some pictures of some of the equipment.

moz-screenshot-4.png

post-14550-0-27529800-1293584462.jpg

Edited by Anthony Tester

NYCT uses specially built train snow throwers and turbine powered snow blowers. Very effective, but the high winds (and probably the rate the snow came down) caused some serious issues throughout. Below are some pictures of some of the equipment.

moz-screenshot-4.png

post-14550-0-27529800-1293584462.jpg

Interesting equipment.

what are those pieces of equipment on the first track. Are they designed to melt the snow off the tracks, or are they giant blowing devices?

post-147-0-23061800-1293624738.jpg

what are those pieces of equipment on the first track. Are they designed to melt the snow off the tracks, or are they giant blowing devices?

They are blowers. The ones on the track next to them are sweepers. We also have snow throwers, see the attached photos.

post-147-0-98820400-1293624707.jpg

x635 and M' Ave like this

Here is on of Boston's jet blowers at work (I assume MBTA, but don't know).

You might want to turn down the volume on your computer, this is very loud!

The devices on the left side of the picture (darker yellow) are turbine powered melters. It's essentially a jet engine with the exhaust venting forward to melt snow and ice. The exhaust on one of those is in the area of 900-1000 degrees F so it will do some serious melting.

I believe NASCAR employs similar devices to dry race tracks after it rains.

I was working in Bedford Hills doing snow removal Monday night and saw something similar to the youtube posted above, it was longer than that blower and it was able to direct the tube and blow off the track and third rail. It was the first time I had seen anything like it.

Took Metro North yesterday, not a bad ride at all. NJ Transit was a good ride as well. I think for the most part, they did a pretty good job.