Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OoO

WREMSCO: e-PCR Request for Proposals

4 posts in this topic

This is a request for proposal (RFP) for an electronic medical record system (e-PCR) to be utilized by Emergency Medical Service (EMS) agencies and personnel operating in Westchester County, NY. This RFP is issued by the Westchester Regional EMS Council (WREMSCO) under Authority established through New York State Public Health Law, Article 30 § 3003.3. While the WREMSCO is issuing this RFP, the purchasers of products and services selected through this RFP process may include the WREMSCO itself and/or individual EMS organizations operating in and around the Westchester Region. As a result of this RFP, the WREMSCO expects to enter into a group purchasing agreement with one (or more) of the bidding vendors and, upon doing so, will inform all WREMSCO EMS agencies about the agreement(s) and its/their terms. All EMS agencies in the Region will be eligible to participate in the agreement(s) under the terms provided, although participation on the part of any individual member is voluntary, and each agency is individually liable with regards to their participation. Each agency that chooses to participate will enter into its own agreement with the Vendor(s), which incorporates the pricing and other terms negotiated by WREMSCO.

Full RFP

Kudos to WREMSCO for being proactive in encouraging agencies to move towards e-PCRs.

For those that have used e-PCRs, what are your thoughts on them?

I've used the old kind on a tablet that weighed 10 pounds. I hated it because it's battery life was short, it was heavy, and it has a small keyboard that attached via USB port.

I've tried some e-PCR systems from different vendors at the two Texas EMS conferences I went to this year, and I really, really like the Panosonic Toughbook, with docking station in the cab and patient care areas. I write a book with every call sheet, so it's nice to have the keyboard.

Also, it's great if the e-PCR system could pull up the patient's name and previous medical history that can auto-populate some of the fields. I know there are some HIPPA things attached to that, especially in EMS though. However, with electronic medical records becoming the mandate (I think) in 2014, it would be great if we could get some previous history on the patient.

It's also good for statiscal data for EMS operations, clinical care, and keeping the public safe and healthy,(tracking of flu like symptoms, easier tracking for following up for call audits, etc)

Also, it's great if the e-PCR system could pull up the patient's name and previous medical history that can auto-populate some of the fields. I know there are some HIPPA things attached to that, especially in EMS though. However, with electronic medical records becoming the mandate (I think) in 2014, it would be great if we could get some previous history on the patient.

There are definitely HIPAA concerns which is why my company doesn't have the common patients function enabled. However, it is great that so much information populates automatically. On transports, we get any patient information entered into RightCAD from our dispatchers, so it makes transport PCR's a piece of cake.

As far as the ePCR is concerned, some people love them, some would rather have paper. A few large studies of ePCR's have generally found that there is very little time savings but after the initial learning curve, the time to complete an ePCR is just a tad longer than a written PCR. They extra time, however, has generally resulted in better documentation and a better system for QA/QI. Our software allows us to have any number of "close call rules" that won't allow the EMT or Medic to complete the PCR until certain fields are completed. The system is also so sophisticated that it can do "if...then" relationships (i.e. if you relate the primary impression as Stroke/CVA, you must fill out a stroke scale). Billing agencies will also find the ePCR will increase the number of properly billed calls and increase the turnaround time for recovery.

The only concern I would have about a volunteer agency using the ePCR is the significant learning curve. If you only do a couple of calls a month, the ePCR would be extremely cumbersome to those members who are not computer savvy.

"The only concern I would have about a volunteer agency using the ePCR is the significant learning curve. If you only do a couple of calls a month, the ePCR would be extremely cumbersome to those members who are not computer savvy."

But if you only do a couple of calls a month, think of all the time you have to complete the ePCRs between calls.