Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jcnyc

Proboards

8 posts in this topic

Why don't you just move this site over to proboards. Basically the website is just a forum. No costs and no limits on space and its always up and running. No more asking for donations, or threats of shutdown. Who ever wants to contribute, contributes and no money worries.

Just a thought

Proboards has it's limitations and I would just like to say Seth, Rob and the other staff members do an awesome job with this site. As posted in another thread, this site is 8 years running and the staff does it's best to make improvements to the board all of the time. As for the "threats" of shutting the board down - Seth had his reasons and once again the members here who value the board as well as the staff members all stepped up to the plate and obviously the board didn't shut down. Just my .02 cents.

Joe

ProBoards is very limited to what we do and how are set up is. Also the IP.Board software is owned by the admin and we maintain the license and the associated fees. We have full control onthe admin side on what features we can use.

The other is security. ProBoards does not offer the security as we have with IP.Boards. That is why other sites like Rockland, the Rant on LI and up in CT utilize specific forum software. ProBoards also offers a very limited amount of bandwidth which with our software and also with server space we can allocated the proper amount of space needed. With all the pictures we have here and are posted, ProBoards wouldn't fit the needs of the site. We would eat up all the allocated bandwidth quickly, and end up having to pay anyway for addition space.

Just because its says it's free, it usually is not in the end all be all when you need something larger in side to handle the traffic. You have to read the fine print.

ProBoards is very limited to what we do and how are set up is. Also the IP.Board software is owned by the admin and we maintain the license and the associated fees. We have full control onthe admin side on what features we can use.

The other is security. ProBoards does not offer the security as we have with IP.Boards. That is why other sites like Rockland, the Rant on LI and up in CT utilize specific forum software. ProBoards also offers a very limited amount of bandwidth which with our software and also with server space we can allocated the proper amount of space needed. With all the pictures we have here and are posted, ProBoards wouldn't fit the needs of the site. We would eat up all the allocated bandwidth quickly, and end up having to pay anyway for addition space.

Just because its says it's free, it usually is not in the end all be all when you need something larger in side to handle the traffic. You have to read the fine print.

That's the first thing I thought of; the amount of bandwidth we must be using due to the extensive photograph library that we have been building for years.....When I did the Myrtle Beach firefighter combat challenge photo shoot, I kept thinking of that as I was posting up a very large file of pics. I am always amazed at the quality of the photograph collection here....

Edited by efdcapt115

what about vbulletin? I am in a group over there that far exceeds the traffic and bandwidth of this site. ANd if pictures are an issue just put them up somewhere else or just make them smaller. People always watermark them anyway so its not like the original is needed cause its not like its going to be printed.

Just suggestions.

vBulletin was considered several years ago when we were upgrading from phpBB. A lot of hosting company's wouldn't let you run vBulletin on a shared server. vBulletin also has higher license fees and would cost us just as much, if not more..

I really like the software we have now. It's very robust, and has many features. I've grown used to it, as has the membeship. It's easy to adminstrate and moderate. The company I work with has given us excellent service and support at very low costs. I've also learned a lot about how the forum works technically, and have made many customizations to the software.

Bandwith, etc is not an issue....we have our own server.

We're financially OK since we have had over a hundred members step up and make donations last year, and I hope the membership will continue to contribute when/if they can this year. I'm also hoping that we will find some new advertisers.

The shutdown was an impulsive move by me, I had several personal things going on in my life, and didn't wan't the site to add to my worries-especially financially. I should have talked it over with the staff and other members before I made any kind of decision or announcement. I've learned my lesson, and that won't happen again. (I also learned how much this site means to people)

With all that said, I don't see the need for the change, but appreciate the concern.

Why don't you just move this site over to proboards. Basically the website is just a forum. No costs and no limits on space and its always up and running. No more asking for donations, or threats of shutdown. Who ever wants to contribute, contributes and no money worries.

Just a thought

And proboards is down.

And proboards is down.

What site does proboards host...the rant?..thee rant?