Followers 0
EMTbravo

Truckies, What Do You Prefer?

Truckies, What Do You Prefer?   0 members have voted

1. 1. Truckies, What Do You Prefer?

• I'll Climb (Straight Stick)
    • I'll Take The Bucket (Tower Ladder)
    • I'm happy with ground ladders!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

Truckies, What Do You Prefer, And Why? Vote above.

I have only worked on a straight stick and i feel that it all depends on the department.

Peekskill FD has had a Straight Stick for a very long time. Recently we got a 95' Aerial Platform. I have had the chance to use both. Personally when it comes to extended operations or making a rescue I would have to say TL all the way. ~TL45~

Personally Hartsdale only Has A 95 Foot Tower Ladder, (TL-15) i feel that a tower is much better for prolonged master stream operations. i would also prefer the bucket when making a rescue, but lets face the fact a straight stick also has its advantages it is alot easyer to place a straight stick through over head power lines or in tighter spots. I find the major short fall of our Tower Ladder is the inability to get additional equipment or man power in or out of the Bucket once it is up in operation being we only have an escape ladder, it requires the bucket to be brough back down to the ground or into the bed of the truck. i think a department with both would be lucky because it all dpends what the situation is once you arrive on the scene.

I like Tower Ladders also...How ever I don't like the tower ladders that do not provide hand rails on the side...that just makes me feel un-supported if in any case I have to climb down one.

Each has it's place. Being a Truckie for quite a while in several departments, I find a straight stick more manueverable and better suited for regular FD work. But the Buckets are better for master streams and rescue. Ever see an old lady try to walk down a straight stick in the middle of the night with a house coat on?

Residential fire - Straight stick... I prefer to make roof cuts and do other peaked roof operations off a straight job. You need on average aprox. 25 ft less clearance around the truck to set up a straight job making driveways etc. easier for the strait stick. Not many are made any more, but the mid mount strait stick is one of the best fits for a residential department.

Also just because you have one or two commercial structures in your district doesn't mean you need a tower especially if you have one as a mutual aid option.

Commercial fire - Tower ladder... There tends to be more on and off the aeriel device movement at a commercial fire. Also larger crews operate on the lid of a commercial structure. Towers are easier to get people onto and off of those large flat jobs,

Tower Ladder all the way! I would much rather make a rescue and put them in the bucket then carry them down. I also think that it is easier to run master stream operations from a bucket.

I have seen old women climb down a straight-stick from over 70 feet up. They'll do it, takes a good motivator to get them to do it.

The bucket is nice, but takes some getting used to.

Personally, a rear mount straight-stick is A+, followed by mid-mount tower. Personal favorites in Westchester are L41, L47, TL57, TL5.

My favorite...whatever one I'm on. I've spent time with and on both types each has different advantages and distinctive disadvantages. For peak roofed ventilation I've never had a problem with either one, now that they make the ability to tilt the buck while your in it its even easier. There are several large proactive departments in the US that advocate platforms for peaked roof, particularly truss peaked roof ventilation. Its my general opinion that platform aerial devices are generally more versatile when used and positioned correctly. The only thing it took me time to adjust to was going from a 105' to a 95' device, I came up short quite often while doing training to readjust myself to set up. Also keep in mind, that just because it isn't road, doesn't mean its not made to be put there. While some areas have experienced some growing pains implementing and operating quints, I am very pro quints. Very versatile when used properly, I just don't believe in the total quint concept used by some depts. such as st. louis and Richmond, Va. Whomever said you have to be one or the other is nuts, yes perhaps in crew operation, 4 to 6 firefighters are 4 to 6 firefighters, however if its infront, and has a water supply, I'm not dumping my hose on my truck I'm pulling theirs or using the device as my aerial.

As far as clearance around the truck, it depends on the length and manufacturer, our TL has less clearance then our old straight stick.

Also there is a difference between a tower ladder and ladder tower or so we were told in the academy. If anyone can tell me I'll give them extra credit. lol.

Also any type of ladder that doesn't have handrails isn't designed to be climbed down, that is only for extreme emergencies and at that point, unsupported is better then on chance to climb down.

I'll take the Tower!! I've never worked off of one, but I have been up in two buckets. (Sutphen and the new Ferrara midmount/tower)

I've only worked off of a Pierce Arrow, and Pierce Dash 75' Quint. Although I don't mind locking in and working from a stick, I would prefer a bucket if I'm going to perform a rescue or work a master stream for a long period of time. 8) 8)