Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Guy Next To You.....

12 posts in this topic

I just wanted to make a simple point to make about firefighter fitness. Whether you are a career firefighter or volunteer firefighter, would you trust the people you are going into the building with with your life?

Are they physically fit enough to drag you out, if need be? Are you physically fit enough to be dragged out easily?

Take that, and think of health and fitness. We all work as a team. We should all excercise, eat right, get regular REAL physicals and stress tests as a team. We should encourage one another.

Also, if CPAT is the standard for career firefighters to start the academy, it should also be the standard for volunteer firefighters who are interior as well. Because, again, volunteers perform the same job, and should be on the same level with fitness and health.

Next time you're enroute to a call, think about the guy (or gal) next to you. Can they save your life, and can you save theirs?

How can we take care of others if we can't take care of each other?

if CPAT is the standard for career firefighters to start the academy, it should also be the standard for volunteer firefighters who are interior as well. Because, again, volunteers perform the same job, and should be on the same level with fitness and health.

If the CPAT were required for the volunteer fire service it would cripple the volunteer fire service; I am interior qualified in my dept and I don't think I could pass the CPAT, and at my age( 51) don't even have a clue about setting up the kind of physical conditioning program it would take to get in shape to pass it! But I also realize that unless absolutely neccesary, I have no business on an interior attack anyway.

Edited by Mark Z
markmets415 and x635 like this

If the CPAT were required for the volunteer fire service it would cripple the volunteer fire service

I absolutely agree with you. It would. CPAT is designed for the best canidate selection. BUT, there should be some sort of basic physical ability testing as part of Firefighter Basic. It should also be part of the class.

Age shouldn't matter. Things like reibursment for gym membership and a department personal trainer, as well as promoting a healthy enviroment, can be done in a volunteer department. And volunteers can depend on each other.....meet on a Saturday morning for a group jog, cook healthy meals at the firehouse, etc.

Career departments only need to do CPAT in or before the academy correct ? they don't ever do it again do they ? And those are real questions not sarcasm... So a volley would only need to do CPAT for (firefighter one) then they would be O.K. for the rest of their volley career ? Then every year after that they would have to get a dept. physical. I dont see a problem with this.

Career departments only need to do CPAT in or before the academy correct ? they don't ever do it again do they ? And those are real questions not sarcasm... So a volley would only need to do CPAT for (firefighter one) then they would be O.K. for the rest of their volley career ? Then every year after that they would have to get a dept. physical. I dont see a problem with this.

You're absolutely correct. CPAT is an entrance exam to select the best canidate. I forgot to add to my intial post that once you're in (as a career firefighter), after the academy, some stop staying in shape or neglect their health. There should be some sort of incentive or requirment to stay in shape using benchmarks for the duration of their career. However, there should be group motivation and more importantly personal motivation to stay fit and healthy, and encourage everyone around you to do the same.

Volunteers have to perform the same exact tasks career firefighters, and the human body is no different. The point is, career or volunteer, your life might depend on someone who can't save yours.

Age shouldn't matter. Things like reibursment for gym membership and a department personal trainer, as well as promoting a healthy enviroment, can be done in a volunteer department.

In this day and age with depts, shutting down due to lack of funds, I don't think it is the best time to go looking for funding for these kinds of programs/expenses. I am not saying you are wrong I just think it may not be the best time to start the discussion.

Thanks, I thought that was the case from the paid peeps talking, but wasn't sure.

It may have changed but last i checked, before graduating from the FDNY fire academy, you must again pass a CPAT exam. Thereafter, all firefighters take yearly medicals which involves somewhere around 15 stations including a stair master where they monitor your heart rate to make sure you're fit for duty. This is a very good annual medical and in some cases, people have been taken offline and doctors have caught fixible medical problems early on before they become much bigger issues.

In this day and age with depts, shutting down due to lack of funds, I don't think it is the best time to go looking for funding for these kinds of programs/expenses. I am not saying you are wrong I just think it may not be the best time to start the discussion.

Firefighter health and safety funding should always be purused. And it doesn't cost a dime to go for a run, or make healthy choices at mealtimes. It doesn't make sense that you can't stay in shape just because of the economy. And, you shouldn't be doing it for financial incentive, anyways-unless you want to keep your job, in extreme cases.

It doesn't matter if you are career or volunteer, if you are a firefighter you need to be physically fit to perform your duties. Firefighters need to be able to pass a yearly (or bi-yearly) medical check up and also a physical agility, though not a CPAT. There are standards out there for firefighter fitness.

I think the idea of health, wellness and fitness programs are long overdue in the volunteer sector, but I also think that there are limits as to what you can reasonably expect volunteers to do out of pocket as a requirement for membership. An entrance phyisical abilities test is not at all unreasonable and one can be run along the CPAT guidelines by the departments themselves at little or no cost (other than the gym equipment) to either the department or the applicant as a part of the membership process. After that as far as I'm concerned if you're going to require any standards in term of fitness it is up to the department to foot the bill. The volunteers have already made the commitment to the department to give their time, energy, experience and dedication so anything above and beyond that the department should provide if they are going to demand it as a requirement to remain a member.

Cogs

It may have changed but last i checked, before graduating from the FDNY fire academy, you must again pass a CPAT exam. Thereafter, all firefighters take yearly medicals which involves somewhere around 15 stations including a stair master where they monitor your heart rate to make sure you're fit for duty. This is a very good annual medical and in some cases, people have been taken offline and doctors have caught fixible medical problems early on before they become much bigger issues.

Thats correct, during the rock we do FST( Functional Skills Training) which is very similar to the Cpat. Then towards the end of the academy we had to pass the CPat which was given by the state. Every year during a day tour your groups are ordered to go to metrotech and have your annual physical which includes the stairmaster, ekg and bp, hearing, eye test, blood work , lung capicity and then the visit with the doc. Because of these test some members have been notified of various cancers or blood disorders. If you are over weight and your bp is too high andif your heart rate is too high on the stairmaster you go to "FAT CAMP" back at the rock and work out with the fitness unit. I personally make sure i work out every day tour I work and also play for the job hockey team 2x a week which is more than enough exercise. There are some guys in my house that i know couldnt pull me out 6'3' 230. So weather your a volly or a career guy physical fitness is a major part of our job with addition to knowing your job and your position

chris likes this