Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

2011 Snow storm...again

9 posts in this topic

So with 8 to 14" and up 25 mph wind gusts predicted as of 6pm, NYC is declaring a weather emergency. This doesn't remove parked cars from snow emergency routes, but does enable the city to tow any car blocking snow removal or traffic at the owners expense. Why the Fudge does this require a mayoral declaration?! This should be in effect 24/7.

Sanitation has been in full Blizzard mode since this afternoon and as I write this there is a plow grinding is way down my snow dusted street (so much for 2" or more to plow). Salters have supposedly been sent down every street in the city.

Transit has moved all running trains to interior tunnels, sending some express trains to local tracks but otherwise running a normal schedule. Blowers, diesels, and de-icers were deployed this afternoon.

Fire is staffing all IMT and Brush Fire units.

EMS has suspended all training, running all units 24 hours, staffing additional units as available and initiated 1 for 1 relief. There are also real shovels and tow straps issued to all command vehicles. According to one mechanic, the rear bumpers are not to be used for towing and the ambulances do not have tow hooks or marked anchor points. I hope our bosses are aware. This is gonna be a hoot!!

It snows in New York in the winter. People need to deal with it or move to Florida. Plowing streets that have a dusting will simply cost more money when it comes time for pothole repair and truck/plow repair.

umm apparently you have not been listening to the mayor. Snow is a major emergency and quite possibly the greatest threat to the safety of New Yorkers everywhere. For the first time in decades, there is snow on the ground in every state except Florida (even Hawaii).

Maybe someone on here can explain how a Westchester County Pickup truck with a plow on it is plowing out private driveways in Dutchess County. I seen it today on Kinry Rd in Poughkeepsie. Must be nice to be a county employee and be able to take a work truck home with you to plow your driveway. :huh:

Edited by DES630

Please tell me you took a picture of this. Send it to Astorino!

Please tell me you took a picture of this. Send it to Astorino!

Couldn't agree more!!!! That's amazing.

Couldn't agree more!!!! That's amazing.

I wish I did get a picture of it. But it is not the first time I have seen the truck in the driveway there.

umm apparently you have not been listening to the mayor. Snow is a major emergency and quite possibly the greatest threat to the safety of New Yorkers everywhere. For the first time in decades, there is snow on the ground in every state except Florida (even Hawaii).

Ok, load up some dump trucks and send it to Florida just so we can say EVERY state has snow....LoL :P

Aonter storm come on monday night to tuseday night may ice storm trun snow but in south in nyc will have rain