Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

More Anti FD & DPW Rhetoric From The Tarrytown Board Of Trustees

9 posts in this topic

Later in the meeting, trustee Tom Butler brought up the issue of training again. He said that there usually is a training officer in every department. He felt that a meeting needed to be conducted between all village departments, and those responsible for annual training in order to set up some standards.

"It's sounding like we're doing nothing for training, which surprised us," Butler said. "This is the responsibility of the training officer."

Butler wanted Administrator Blau to look at the county's training schedule to form a model for Tarrytown departments to follow. He said there should be an annual, published training schedule that can be reviewed by the board and employees.

Doesn't seem like this a bad idea. Maybe they're catching on.

Doesn't seem like this a bad idea. Maybe they're catching on.

This is my issue:

Trustee Zollo wanted to know if the police were "grandstanding" or if they had legitimate issues.

See this article, this is the PBA's concern:

http://tarrytown.patch.com/articles/tarrytown-board-of-trustees-roundup-01042011

And are going after other village unions:

However, there are some things that DPW employees must wear, such as steel-toed boots and reflective garments.

"When was the last time someone checked their shoes? I'm going to start checking," Zollo said

There's also a quote from him in the article publicly questioning the fire department's ability to operate a fire hydrant.

(Quotes from the Tarrytown Patch, full article from links above)

Seth. I'm sorry but I don't see any anti FD or anti DPW "rhetoric." You mention you take issue with a comment about the PBA's concern however again I find nothing outrageous they said. I support the PBA in their concerns however I also understand that the village elected officials have a responsibility and I'd rather see them honest about their thoughts then blow smoke up someone's you know what. Being a big union guy myself I can still understand the other side has their stance too. Although be careful...lohud may steal your title and some of you input in an article being they love blowing things up.

helicopper likes this

Trustee Zollo apparently has little to no regard for village employees or their uniformed services.

To utter a remark that the PD Union was "grandstanding" in it's request for confined space awareness training is patently absurd.

Then to ramble on about DPW workers steel toe boots...... coupled with other remarks he's made.....I'm speechless.

Heres how I look at this situation-- Nothing goes on in that village with out the approval of the Board of Trustees.

That's AHJ. Authority Having Juristdiction. The buck stops at the top if the Board dosent know whats going on in with the public services in the village--shame on them. Stop deflecting---do something. It seems apparent the some training has been neglected or pushed to the side. It is time to step up to the plate take responsibility and make decisions that will make the citizens of Tarrytoen feel safe again. Police/Fire/Village workers deserve the best training. Just my two cents for whats its worth

Heres how I look at this situation-- Nothing goes on in that village with out the approval of the Board of Trustees.

That's AHJ. Authority Having Juristdiction. The buck stops at the top if the Board dosent know whats going on in with the public services in the village--shame on them. Stop deflecting---do something. It seems apparent the some training has been neglected or pushed to the side. It is time to step up to the plate take responsibility and make decisions that will make the citizens of Tarrytoen feel safe again. Police/Fire/Village workers deserve the best training. Just my two cents for whats its worth

I agree wholeheartedly that the village board (in this case) has an absolute responsibility here but so do the department heads - whether full-time career, or part-time volunteer. If training has been inadequate for as many years as it seems to be in this situation, the department heads are equally culpable.

Seems that all the training is on... Training Officers shoulders- seems that the Training Officer, no matter who fell short, way short of their RESPONSIBILITY. Why was said training officer not penalized. From what I've read and seen on village articles ( The patch, hudson independent, village board meetings)... and open festering wound of contention with peoples personalities and own little agendas are showing. Doesn't Tarrytown have a fire liason? Isn't the job of a liason to keep people (the ones that matter or who they answer to) appraised of issues, and concerns? I could have sworn that a tarrytown had a fire liason, one who should be keeping ALL lines of communication open? I'm sure if Training was so important, and the training officer DID his or her job, they would have left a paper trail stating 'Hey, we NEED this training and it cannot be placed on the back burner'... the liason should have done better with communicating with the training officer. But what would I know... I hate politics.

"It's time we start negotiating instead of cow-towing," Trustee Zollo said

Well, that's part of the problem right there. They're towing cows for cryin' out loud!

Once they clear up their livestock removal issue, then maybe they can stop kowtowing and start negotiating. :lol:

firecapt32, calhobs and JohnnyOV like this