Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Horrible Start to 2011 For LEO's

50 posts in this topic

Last week I was asked to assist The FBI and Dept of Labor Agents on the execution of an arrest warrant because they wanted a marked patrol car and uniformed officer. When I got to the briefing in a parking lot, the case agent advised me of the suspect name and picture. I was also advised that we were gonna sit in front of the suspect residence until 0600hrs. So basically 45min sitting IFO this suspects house. I decided that I was gonna place my patrol vehicle in safe but close proximity still having eyes on the residence. While waiting, I decided to look up the subject in our data base. It turned out that he had/has a license to carry a firearm. Did the other Agents know that? I have no idea. There was also some other info I was advised about that I can't/won't go into here. @ 0600hrs, the Agents pulled their 4-5 veh's in the driveway. House was still dark. We walked up an unshoveled walkway to the front door. 2-3 Agents stacked in "the fatal funnel". I was off to the side with eyes in the window. After making contact, the suspect was allowed to stay @ his residence due to medical reasons. While they were interviewing the suspect I got to talking to the other Agents that all seemed to have less than 3 years OTG. Not that it matters, I just thought they could have been more prepared.

efdcapt115 likes this

This doesn't include all the officers wounded by gunfire already this year. That would drive these numbers way up and be even more disturbing.

2010 2011

14 14

10 by gunfire.

I am sad to have just learned that Indianapolis Police Officer David Moore who was shot 4 times during a traffic stop 3 days ago has succumbed to his injuries.

The ODMP says that Officer Moores' organs were donated after his death. This is an example of a true selfless hero who even in death is giving of himself to help and save others.

God Bless You Officer Moore , Thank You for your service and sacrafice, You are a true hero.

I am sad to have just learned that Indianapolis Police Officer David Moore who was shot 4 times during a traffic stop 3 days ago has succumbed to his injuries.

The ODMP says that Officer Moores' organs were donated after his death. This is an example of a true selfless hero who even in death is giving of himself to help and save others.

God Bless You Officer Moore , Thank You for your service and sacrafice, You are a true hero.

Really saddened to read this tragic development. May Officer Moore rest in eternal peace. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and fellow IPD Police Officers.

Let's all hope and pray that this madness of violence against our police, which has spread across the country like a wildfire, stops now.

helicopper likes this

Thanks there "efdcapt115" for posting that youtube video. It certainly was very touching. Also Thank You to all that have posted your stories and respectful thoughts.

I certainly respect our Police Officers for the job they do. We depend on you to protect us in the world we live. "THANK YOU" for what you do. Please be safe out there.

Too many of you have paid the ultimate price, along with their families, friends, and Brother/Sister Police Officers. Some are carrying a price for the rest of their own lives from their injuries they recieved, trying to protect us from the viscious animals that roam our streets.

May the Good Lord be with you as you protect us. "THANK YOU SO MUCH".

helicopper likes this

The ODMP is reporting that Yesterday, New York State Corrections Officer Casimirio Pomales was killed in an automobile accident on the New York State Thruway as he and another Corrections Officer were transporting an inmate to a medical appointment.

Rest In Peace Sir.

How about this police involved shooting in the Bronx last year. Perp pulled a gun on cops while they were conducting a vertical (pointed the gun at the cops head) The partner then pulled his gun shot the perp. The perp lived and the case was later DP'd....For those of you who don't know just about every case is DP'd (decline prosecution) in the Bronx. The case was DP'd because the ADA said the cops basically F%@ked up the evidence of securing the gun. The guy was out 2 days later and has numerous priors. Many, many more cases similar to this 1. Something has to be done. Perps or mutts have no fear because they know nothing will happen to them even if they assault a cop.

I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that the ADA DP'd the case on orders from the DA himself, who is nothing more than a spineless, cop-hating, do-nothing POS.

I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that the ADA DP'd the case on orders from the DA himself, who is nothing more than a spineless, cop-hating, do-nothing POS.

Can't argue with you there

I'm going to throw it out there because history, when forgotten, repeats itself: a few years ago, Philadelphia went through a nightmare of LODDs, starting with an indirect relative of mine, PO Chuck Cassidy.

Absent the two killed in MVCs by drunks with suspended licenses and BrAC levels higher than their IQs, the balance had a disturbing pattern of commonality: the killers all had criminal records and/or connections to violent factions of Islamic cults.

Now, I'm not trying to paint the current spate of LODDs with the same brush, but such patterns are generally called "soft terrorism" attacks, designed to do nothing more than confuse the targets and cause, you guessed it, terror!

And given how our media outlets will go out of its way to ignore or manipulate the stream of news, I'm left to wonder if its all happening again?

Just my two cents,....

I believe there should never be a rmp manned by 1 officer. Some will say it costs way too much to staff but I also think more officers lives would be saved if backup were sitting next to him/her. Also now with a 2 officer team, more firepower ie,AR-15,shotgun could be at an officers fingertips instead of locked up in the trunk of the vehicle. I have even heard that some departments have been discouraged from wearing outer body armor type vests because they look too menacing to the public. Personally I don't care what the public thinks too many officers are being shot and injured or killed.

Just a guy likes this

I believe there should never be a rmp manned by 1 officer. Some will say it costs way too much to staff but I also think more officers lives would be saved if backup were sitting next to him/her. Also now with a 2 officer team, more firepower ie,AR-15,shotgun could be at an officers fingertips instead of locked up in the trunk of the vehicle. I have even heard that some departments have been discouraged from wearing outer body armor type vests because they look too menacing to the public. Personally I don't care what the public thinks too many officers are being shot and injured or killed.

I will have to look it up but I'm pretty sure that research by DOJ has shown no real relationship between officer fatalities and the 1 officer/2 officer car issue. In fact, if I remember correctly, the opposite was true and complacency by two officer units resulted in a higher incidence of injuries.

One officer units have immediately accessible to them shotguns and patrol rifles; most jobs have them installed in the car not in the trunk.

Outer vest carriers have long been a staple of police uniforms and I'm not aware of any local jobs that prohibit them (although I have heard the same rhetoric in the past).

It isn't getting any better, in fact it's just plain scary!

Be safe!

Total Line of Duty Deaths: 28

Assault: 1

Automobile accident: 7

Duty related illness: 1

Gunfire: 14

Gunfire (Accidental): 1

Heart attack: 2

Struck by vehicle: 2

By Month:

January: 17

February: 11

By State:

California: 1

Florida: 8

Indiana: 1

Maryland: 1

Michigan: 1

New Jersey: 1

New York: 3

Ohio: 4

Oregon: 1

South Carolina: 1

Texas: 2

Tribal Police: 1

U.S. Government: 2

Washington: 1

Average tour: 11 years, 5 months

Average age: 40

By Gender:

Female: 3

Male: 25

Nice article, but it does nothing. IMHO this is related to how police officers have been treated in the media for the last 10-15 years.....That the public must question, and second guess every decision a police officer makes in a split second, and then call for justice, I.E. that officer's head on a stick. Its one thing to question, but there are people out there like EX-Governor David Patterson, who have written legislation to make it legal for people to resist arrest when they feel it is wrong. Other proposed bills such as shoot to wound, I.E. shoot the hand, or leg, not center mass, and the constant media backlash against police officers has lead to this. Times are tough, crime is increasing, and a good portion of the population is willing to fight the police when caught. Add in the encouragement for liberal do-gooders who think that every police initiated stop is some type of wrong doing, it has made police officers look like the enemy in some communities. As an example, I recently handled an assault. When I got on scene (as one of the first officers) I asked the victim what happened. A large group of witnesses immediately jumped in telling me "Don't arrest him, he didn't do nothing". Not what happened, who did it, or where the perps where, just "he didn't do nothing." Want the violence to stop, we need to change the way the media, and public perceive police officers. Until that occurs, expect the violence to continue.

Edited by grumpyff

Walked into a room the other day when a few volunteer firefighters where playing a viedo game on the big screen, They were in a tank killing police officers! What kind of games are this and maybe we can start there. I walked out of the room and heard them say whats bugging him !

Nice article, but it does nothing. IMHO this is related to how police officers have been treated in the media for the last 10-15 years.....That the public must question, and second guess every decision a police officer makes in a split second, and then call for justice, I.E. that officer's head on a stick. Its one thing to question, but there are people out there like EX-Governor David Patterson, who have written legislation to make it legal for people to resist arrest when they feel it is wrong. Other proposed bills such as shoot to wound, I.E. shoot the hand, or leg, not center mass, and the constant media backlash against police officers has lead to this. Times are tough, crime is increasing, and a good portion of the population is willing to fight the police when caught. Add in the encouragement for liberal do-gooders who think that every police initiated stop is some type of wrong doing, it has made police officers look like the enemy in some communities. As an example, I recently handled an assault. When I got on scene (as one of the first officers) I asked the victim what happened. A large group of witnesses immediately jumped in telling me "Don't arrest him, he didn't do nothing". Not what happened, who did it, or where the perps where, just "he didn't do nothing." Want the violence to stop, we need to change the way the media, and public perceive police officers. Until that occurs, expect the violence to continue.

I think that's been the case for a while though. I would say that dramatic uptick recently is due to the fact that due to the economy more people literally have nothing more to lose than doing crime and fighting/shooting cops.

I think that's been the case for a while though. I would say that dramatic uptick recently is due to the fact that due to the economy more people literally have nothing more to lose than doing crime and fighting/shooting cops.

I have to agree with you! Nothing to lose and no respect! An off-duty officer was killed this morn I believe in CA! It has to stop!

Walked into a room the other day when a few volunteer firefighters where playing a viedo game on the big screen, They were in a tank killing police officers! What kind of games are this and maybe we can start there. I walked out of the room and heard them say whats bugging him !

This game better be taking place in Libya or some other hideous backdrop. If not WTF are people in THAT company thinking? Time for some serious white shirt intervention.

This game better be taking place in Libya or some other hideous backdrop. If not WTF are people in THAT company thinking? Time for some serious white shirt intervention.

Will be taken care of the first of the month !