Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

Sub-Zero Temps & Fire Service - What Do YOU Do?

18 posts in this topic

With reading so many friends posting their statuses about the temperatures in negative double digits, and another thread about the temperatures and equipment, how do you/your department deal with these weather conditions? Are there any GOG/SOG/SOPs regarding how long you can remain out in the elements before going to rehab/being switched out, such as a long duration incident? What about for your equipment?

Most of us know about keeping your pumps/tanks circulating, so let's consider that an assumed response, I am looking to see what other things people do to stay warm/keep equipment working properly!

welllast night not good. city of poughkeepsie we had a 2nd alarm and was not fun. gear and hose frozen solid. 2 hydrants frozen solid. And at the rekindle our engine 1's electronic throttle panel froze and would not pump.

welllast night not good. city of poughkeepsie we had a 2nd alarm and was not fun. gear and hose frozen solid. 2 hydrants frozen solid. And at the rekindle our engine 1's electronic throttle panel froze and would not pump.

I heard about some issues they had last night, which is one of the reasons I got to thinking to ask if anyone else has any other policies or anything for incidents such as this weather has presented us with!

Up in the North Country, we are often faced with temperatures down to -30 and beyond. One thing I do to stay comfortable is to leave my gear inside at night and get dressed prior to going out to my car. Nothing is worse then gear that is -30 degrees when you jump in it. Also, in Potsdam we take the caps off of our connections on the pump panels because the drips will freeze instantly when a truck or engine is pulled out of the bay. Myself and a bunch of other guys use a fuel additive to remove water from our gas lines and prevent gas line freeze. When it is real cold like last night, I will actually remove my battery from my car and take it inside for the night. If a call comes in I go and quickly hook it back up to the car. Then the car starts like it is warm.

Last night Hammond, NY in St. Lawrence County had a working fire and face temperatures as low as -36 degrees F. It is almost impossible in these temperatures to keep lines from freezing. Hydrant on the hand were not an issue for Hammond last night because they fire was not near any hydrants. Instead a tanker task force was used. The biggest issue was finding a good draft site. They went to several pond and lakes looking for water to find that the pond was frozen from top to bottom. They actually carry big drills (same as ones used for ice fishing) in order to reach water in pond. They ended up having to go quite a ways off shore into the St. Lawrence river to finally reach water.

PEMO3 likes this

When it is real cold like last night, I will actually remove my battery from my car and take it inside for the night. If a call comes in I go and quickly hook it back up to the car. Then the car starts like it is warm.

Sounds like a really good idea but not one that someone should do arbitrarily without first checking with a dealership or mechanic. A lot of the newer vehicles on the road loose information such as radio unlock codes and other information when left without battery power of some level for an extended period of time. While your car may turn over like it was "warm" you may have more trouble than a jump start would have fixed.

Sounds like a really good idea but not one that someone should do arbitrarily without first checking with a dealership or mechanic. A lot of the newer vehicles on the road loose information such as radio unlock codes and other information when left without battery power of some level for an extended period of time. While your car may turn over like it was "warm" you may have more trouble than a jump start would have fixed.

This is very true. Luckily I only do this maybe 2 times a year and since I forgot to last night I probably will not do it at all this winter. As far as loosing the radio code and such, yes this could be a problem. However, I am almost positive that all cars come with a sticker (usually in the glovebox) that have the code on it. Also, there is a code that you can put in to override the radio lock on some vehicles...at least Hondas.

Wool socks and a sweatshirt are at the bedside are a must.

With reading so many friends posting their statuses about the temperatures in negative double digits, and another thread about the temperatures and equipment, how do you/your department deal with these weather conditions? Are there any GOG/SOG/SOPs regarding how long you can remain out in the elements before going to rehab/being switched out, such as a long duration incident? What about for your equipment?

Most of us know about keeping your pumps/tanks circulating, so let's consider that an assumed response, I am looking to see what other things people do to stay warm/keep equipment working properly!

Fire This Morning in Wallkill...froze all the valves and lines to the pump...but at least the pump didn't freeze. The valves started to freeze just on the way over there.

Wool socks and a sweatshirt are at the bedside are a must.

I would also suggest always keeping a spare pair of clothing, including thermals, in a vehicle at all times. If you get wet or anything of the sort, you can at least have something to change into. And by saying "keep them in your car" I meant if you run out the door at least there is something there. When you have a chance, bring them inside to thaw out, so you have something WARM to put on haha!

My department milan in dutchess county was faced with this this morn ata fire around 5:50am. Had are 48-12 when I got to the fire I was put into the water shuttle and my bleeder valves we frozen when I got there got most of them to close when I arrived being they were open dropped my fist load of water by 3 inch hose hooked to supply truck are brush truck we use for draft froze before it even got water flowing I did 2 loads of water and my valves were frozen was down to just 1 rear discharge that finally froze after my last load we had to use flares to get caps off trucks when I got back to station all my discharges were frozen shut took 3 hours to get everything thawed out hose that was used for fighting fire were frozen just a horrible day but building still standing lol called in multiple dept with man power to change people out

My department milan in dutchess county was faced with this this morn ata fire around 5:50am. Had are 48-12 when I got to the fire I was put into the water shuttle and my bleeder valves we frozen when I got there got most of them to close when I arrived being they were open dropped my fist load of water by 3 inch hose hooked to supply truck are brush truck we use for draft froze before it even got water flowing I did 2 loads of water and my valves were frozen was down to just 1 rear discharge that finally froze after my last load we had to use flares to get caps off trucks when I got back to station all my discharges were frozen shut took 3 hours to get everything thawed out hose that was used for fighting fire were frozen just a horrible day but building still standing lol called in multiple dept with man power to change people out

Holy lack of punctuation Batman!

I guess my two cents is, prevention, the only way to stop valves, pumps and hose from freezing is educate the community. Easier said then done in the broke economy, homeowners and occupants using whatever means to keep warm, but every little bit helps.

Stay safe and warm out there fellow brothers and sisters.

The simple solution would be to just hit reset on the pager and not go... but we all know we can't do that. :P

What kills me is how many more electronics are on our fire apparatus now. Especially around the pumps. Take a cold night like we're having now, a little bit of water and in no time, watch how many components start crapping out on you. It's almost moronic if you ask me.

For me personally, I try to keep the bunker pants in the front hall so I don't put them on and go into shock. I would love to leave the coat inside too, but my wife doesn't care for that idea too much.

All of our Engines are outfitted with a small propane torch should we need to thaw caps. I know that we preach to everyone that they should never run around an emergency scene, but it is EXTREMLY IMPORTANT NOT TO this time of the year. Try keeping some good rock salt on every rig, and make that call to DPW / DOT, etc. for more if you're going to need it.

With so much snow on the ground lately, roads are narrower, cars are parked further into the road than normal and hydrants are buried. Be prepared to commit extra personnel to the "dumber" tasks of shoveling out hydrants, throwing down some salt, etc.

Stay warm and be safe.

64FFMJK and x635 like this

The simple solution would be to just hit reset on the pager and not go... but we all know we can't do that. :P

What kills me is how many more electronics are on our fire apparatus now. Especially around the pumps. Take a cold night like we're having now, a little bit of water and in no time, watch how many components start crapping out on you. It's almost moronic if you ask me.

For me personally, I try to keep the bunker pants in the front hall so I don't put them on and go into shock. I would love to leave the coat inside too, but my wife doesn't care for that idea too much.

All of our Engines are outfitted with a small propane torch should we need to thaw caps. I know that we preach to everyone that they should never run around an emergency scene, but it is EXTREMLY IMPORTANT NOT TO this time of the year. Try keeping some good rock salt on every rig, and make that call to DPW / DOT, etc. for more if you're going to need it.

With so much snow on the ground lately, roads are narrower, cars are parked further into the road than normal and hydrants are buried. Be prepared to commit extra personnel to the "dumber" tasks of shoveling out hydrants, throwing down some salt, etc.

Stay warm and be safe.

It's a cold night when rock salt no longer melts ice!!! unsure.gif Does happen quite a bit however... NaCl works to about 5 F and CaCl2 works to about -10 F.

What about a coolant loop from the engine block through the pump panel? Anyone utilizing that?

LET'S NOT FORGET KEEPING PERSONNEL WARM!

Fire/EMS Agencies utilize some type of REHAB as soon as possible.

In very cold conditions such as this having an Old Ambulance, Old School Bus

(as some agencies do) can be a great tool for keeping our Emergency Responders warm

or Civilians who might be out in the cold from a Fire or Incident.

You also have the Red Cross and or Salvation Army Canteen Units