Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

City of Poughkeepsie from the Hudson River Walkway.

12 posts in this topic

I took this shot of the City of Poughkeepsie this past August from the Hudson River Walkway...... It was taken at dusk just before the walkway closes (Which BTW, also happens to be the optimal time for photography) and I almost didn't finish it... I had a few minutes to go and then I had a less that pleasurable encounter with a NYSPP officer who apparently was having an off day :angry: ......... They put in and make a big deal about all this LED energy efficient lighting and yet the walkway closes at dusk.....Go figure...

I have printed this out on my printer at a size of 24" high by 120" wide and it is highly detailed...... I have a friend who has as a 24" H x ~80" W version and his kids had it framed for him as a Christmas gift.... It now occupies his living room and it looks gorgeous..... I have many other landscape panoramas that I have done and my intent is to try to sell these as a means to pay some of my photography expenses...... Doing the fire photography has put me in the hole as far as expenses go and hopefully I can use photos such as this to offset some of my expenses.....

If you have yet to go to the walkway, you should do it...... It really is a great place to go .....

1172435431_3Zdzv-X3.jpg

Edited by Photounit

wow what an incredible shot. once again nice job

Bill, are these pics avalible on your smugmug site?

Bill,

That's a wonderful photo of the skyline. I'd like to ask you if you would share with the rest of us; how do you bring out the colors? Are you using a program to enhance them, filters on the camera, settings? I realize you have professional trade secrets...not asking you to reveal any of those. Maybe just a general idea, so amateurs like myself could produce a better photo product.

Thanks,

George

Great photo. I too would like some of those secrets to bringing out the colors.

Really nice shot! You have a great talent for photography.

Enhanced picture??? You mean to tell me that Poughkeepsie is not bright and vibrant?:lol:

Thanks everybody......

Bill, are these pics avalible on your smugmug site?

Due to the size and aspect ratio I have not been able to put them on my site - They can't print them......... It is actually more cost effective for me to print the panoramas or large prints myself..... I now have a professional printer to do large prints with......If you are interested in a copy PM me.....

Bill,

That's a wonderful photo of the skyline. I'd like to ask you if you would share with the rest of us; how do you bring out the colors? Are you using a program to enhance them, filters on the camera, settings? I realize you have professional trade secrets...not asking you to reveal any of those. Maybe just a general idea, so amateurs like myself could produce a better photo product.

Thanks,

George

George, Thanks.....This image was made out of approximately 60 images...... They were shot on a tripod with a relatively long shutter speed of ~ 1 second per exposure....I generally don't use filters and none were used here... Then the 60 images were stitched into the finished panorama..... The lighting conditions coupled with the "long" exposure time and low ISO tend to give a saturated and detailed image...... The problem with shooting something like this is that all 60 images need to be pretty much perfect..... If any one is improperly aligned, exposed, or out of focus, then the other 59 images are pretty much worthless...... It took me several attempts on different nights to shoot this view to get the results I was looking for..... Once I made a 10 foot wide print of it, I knew I got it right..... I have other ones at various times of the day which I will post if I get some free time...

Really nice shot! You have a great talent for photography.

Enhanced picture??? You mean to tell me that Poughkeepsie is not bright and vibrant?:lol:

I think many parts of Poughkeepsie are really nice such as Mt Carmel Square which is in the foreground of the photo..... Despite the crime, Poughkeepsie has a lot going for it IMO......

efdcapt115 likes this

OK, here's another shot taken during the early morning hours (~7:30 am) of October 2ND of 2010...... It was very cold on the walkway and for a while I had lost the feelings in my fingers despite having gloves on..... I had hoped to get this shot with foliage change at it's peek....Unfortunately I was working out west when it actually occurred several weeks later so I had to settle for this..... This, as the one above can be printed very large and has great detail......

1179804922_viagK-X3.jpg

Edited by Photounit