Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
16fire5

Disconnecting Batteries at MVAs

34 posts in this topic

Side posts are bolted in so you cannot use this tool. Good old fashioned 3/8 or 1/2 works with most of those.

I keep a double ended wrench in my helmet band. 5/16 on one end and 3/8 on the other. Open end, not box end. This will fit most side mount terminals. It usually only take a couple of seconds longer to disconnect the terminals as it does to cut them, provided access is not a major issue. I think its better to leave the option of reconnecting the battery if needed as opposed to cutting it.

Just out of curiosity, on cars with a master fuse connected to the positive wire, can you just pull this fuse out?

At least confer with the PD on scene before doing anything non-emergent to a vehicle involved in an accident (I'm not talking about extrication, I'm talking about things like cutting battery cables). If there is a serious injury or death and the possibility of an accident investigation cutting the battery cables may result in the loss of evidence and/or a difficulty in accessing evidence (computers, lights, vehicle settings, etc. More often than not you don't have to do anything to the vehicle especially if the victims are out.

Cutting battery cables does not eliminate hazards from the battery - an overheating battery (at least in aviation batteries) can still explode even if disconnected. A damaged battery can still leak acid even if disconnected.

Many of the things powered by electricity have their own capacitors so the hazard from them is not eliminated by cutting battery cables. Airbags are one such thing.

Another good thing to confer with PD about is whether or not it is appropriate to put speedi-dry down. If they're doing an AI, they may prefer to have the tow service do it so the scene is "undisturbed" for investigative purposes.

Again, all I'm saying is talk with your peers who have a job to do too. If we can help each other out, we should make the effort.

Great point that I never thought about. It's amazing what a car can actually tell you about its accident these days. My department used to cut the cables of any vehicle with a scratch on it. Fortunately, we've changed that over time.

People were mentioning alternative locations for batteries. Most of our ambulances (type 2) have a battery under the hood and a second under either side of the vehicle, about in the middle. When you think about the hazards a battery can cause, it's really interesting that the batteries are kept so close to either an emergency exit (passenger side) or the fuel intake (driver side). Most modular ambulances that I've seen have a battery cabinet located somewhere accessible from the outside (in our AEV's, it's under the ALS cabinet on the passenger side).

Interesting that you brought the topic of working with the other agencies that respond such as police and tow agencies. Our department just had a great lecture generously provided for us by one of our local sherrif's officers. He usually helps with the Fire Police course and was asked by our chief to come and address the issue of working together and what the Law Enforcement providers expect of us and vice versa. GREAT lecture. He discussed crime scenes, and accident re-creation teams and how we should handle the scenes, park our trucks, and help with traffic. He was professional and than allowed us to offer our own information. But he is also a volunteer firefighter, former captain and I was his Lieutenant so he knew that end of it anyway. But still, its good to know what the other agencies need to do for their jobs. I am thinking af inviting a tow agency representitive to our next mva drill so he/she can offer any input from a tow drivers perspective as well. Might be beneficial to us all.

Good topic. I believe it should only be removed if there will be an extended extrication and it will cause trouble or danger. And it should be removed properly with a wrench or socket. Takes the same amount of time and is less of a shock hazzard to an adrenaline charged firefighter that may cross the poles and get a lot more energy than they need...

Stay Safe.

PFDRes47cue likes this