Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gss131

FDNY replacing gloves

7 posts in this topic

Here is a link to the NY Times article: New York Times

We have been hearing murmers about trouble with theses gloves for a few months. It's too bad that it seems materials were changed, making these gloves dangerous. When they first arrived at the Quartermaster, guys were psyched about replacing the blue "oven-mitts" that we had before.

Hopefully a new, safe glove can be found quickly. We needed a decent glove with improved dexterity, but not at this cost. It was known that the new gloves did trade some thermal protection for dexterity, but it was thought to be a fair trade. Obviously, if the manufacturer substituted polyester for cotton, this trade-off for dexterity becomes dangerous.

The Blaze Fighter was a better glove in terms of comfort and use. I, along with many of the guys I work with, had purchased our own gloves from various manufacturers. However, it's a big expense when it's something that the job should be issuing. Since these gloves came out, I'd been using them and not the pair I'd purchased. Looks like I'll be going back.....

Looks like the last straw was the guy from my company getting burned at the 3rd alarm we had on Jan. 25th.

And it's so convenient that the company just so happened to go out of business when all this came out..........................:rolleyes:

Any chance of the department getting the money back? Lawsuit? Hopefully they have better luck with the next gloves they pick. Stay safe!

It's tough to file a lawsuit with a company that has suddenly gone out of business..

It's tough to file a lawsuit with a company that has suddenly gone out of business..

Tough buy not impossible. These people committed fraud. The changed the materials from the spec to a non spec material. While the company went belly up they may be able to hold the officers of the company liable.

Drangon Fire Alpha X gloves are great if I had to recommend any. A lot of dexterity and feel but with great protection.

I hope the guys down there rectify the issues quickly, albeit they may not recoup the money spent on them if the company has really gone under. Were there any field trials or was it because they switched material that this issue came about?

Either way, hand injuries are very hard to deal with due to the sudden lack to do practically anything. I hope the injured Jakes recover fast and fully.