Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

All New Redesigned 2011 Ford Explorer

10 posts in this topic

Gonna make a nice FD, PD, or EMS car!! (Just delivered to dealer lot this AM)

post-11-0-55306800-1297189166.jpg

I had seen one of these about three weeks ago on the road, and had no idea what it was at first. I thought it was a Taurus station wagon at first. Then a few days later I saw the commercial for it. It still looks like a cross over of the Taurus and the Edge. :D

agreed, it looks like a large Edge SUV/Cross-over. Personally, I liked the current Explorer design.

Long time Explorer / Mountaineer owner, I don't like the new looks. Looks too much like the Edge.

I had seen one of these about three weeks ago on the road, and had no idea what it was at first. I thought it was a Taurus station wagon at first. Then a few days later I saw the commercial for it. It still looks like a cross over of the Taurus and the Edge. :D

It is, in fact, a crosssover based on the Ford Taurus. Base drivetrain is FWD, with AWD optional. The police package will be pursuit rated, unlike the current generation.

While I am slightly bothered by seeing the Explorer becoming a crossover, this is what the market wants. I have no doubt that Ford will be successful with this one.

How do you think the durability will be? DO you think it will hold up well enough to be used in emergency service?

well, I guess my mother will be buying an expedition instead of an explorer when she goes for a new car next year. She has owned a '92 '98 and '05 and my father has owned a '97 and an '05. I owned an '01 so yes I have had many of them but dont want anything to do with this, whatever it is, I know this is what the people want but....... well just read my caption!

How do you think the durability will be? DO you think it will hold up well enough to be used in emergency service?

It's tough to say. This is the first time a FWD/AWD crossover is being put into widespread patrol use. AWD adds more complexity, but is much better for year-round handling than 4WD. The fact that this model is pursuit rated should mean that it has been put through more extreme testing than did the last one. Only time will tell whether that has any meaningful effect.

Yuck! I will stick with my Tahoe! Im not a ford guy anyway...

It is, in fact, a crosssover based on the Ford Taurus. Base drivetrain is FWD, with AWD optional. The police package will be pursuit rated, unlike the current generation.

While I am slightly bothered by seeing the Explorer becoming a crossover, this is what the market wants. I have no doubt that Ford will be successful with this one.

The waiting list to get one is long, 3 to 6 months is what I was told. All being delivered now have been acocunted for, so unless somebody backs out after the delivery to the dealer, you are going to have to wait. Early indications are it is a hit and will be a hot seller.

x635 likes this