Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest aussiegeorge

Fire Patrol

18 posts in this topic

g'day all i have a question about the new york city fire patrol,who are they are they part of FDNY what do they do and what incidents do they respond to,are they a salvage unit and if so does fdny do any salvage work at jobs or leave it all to the fire patrol,

cheers george from down under.

The Patrol is funded by the NY board of Fire underwriters, and not technically associated with FDNY. Salvage is performed by FDNY, by the Truck companies. Although they used to have Fire_salvage companies which were disbanded. The Patrol usually responds to commercial buildings, although they can be special called by the FDNY Chief to any location. Here's the link......... :wink: http://www.nybfu.org/firepatrol.htm

thanks for the info smoke eater. 8)

what is required to become a member of the fire patrol?

Enjoy it while you can, folks. Rumor has it that the Patrol is going bye bye.

JBE,

What have you heard? Will it be incorporated into FDNY somehow?

Edited by CAM502

All I heard is that they may be closing down. Also remember at one time, there were 10 plus Patrols through out the city, now down to three.

FP-3 just took delivery of a new 2005 rig......

There is a great book on the NY City Fire Patrol....I think you can get it at FSP books......or on Amazon....and yes I have heard that they are looking to do away with them.....if I am not mistaken they were a paid service in NY City eevn before the FDNY went paid.....their members were involved with grabs from time to time and have many Line Of Duty Deaths.....also you may hear the #344 for Firefighters killed on 9-11 as there was 1 member of the Fire Patrol killed on that horrible day.....I'm sorry I cant recall his name at this moment...but I always say 344 when I hear 343........they wear red helmets at fire scenes and turnout gear and scba the same as FDNY....the Brothers refer to them as "cousins" really.......be safe all.......

Keith Roma from Patrol#2 was killed in the line of duty on September 11th. FYI- the NY Board of Fire Underwriters which funds the Fire Patrol actually paid the salaries of the NYC Fire Department for a year back during the depression. Back in those days fire patrolmen went through the fire academy with firefighters. One last somber note, Capt. Patrick Brown L3, was a member of the patrol before FDNY and use to visit regularly. Rumor had it he lied about his age to join the patrol at 16 years old! Patty was one of the greats! R.I.P. Brother.

Keith Roma..thank you for posting the name......

Rumor had it he lied about his age to join the patrol at 16 years old!

How old do you have to be to join the fire patrol?

I spoke with a member of the Fire Patrol today and told him about the thread, He said there is always talk of the fire patrol closing. It always happens before the annual underwriters meeting. It goes to a vote and is always defeated. The closing of the fire patrols is rather complicated since the $$$ is tied to 2% fund.

stay safe B)

I spoke with a member of the Fire Patrol today and told him about the thread, He said there is always talk of the fire patrol closing.  It always happens before the annual underwriters meeting.  It goes to a vote and is always defeated.  The closing of the fire patrols is rather complicated since the $$$ is tied to 2% fund.

stay safe  :unsure:

Spoke to someone from the patrol today and he said there's a vote on Tuesday at 2pm wether the patrol stays or goes! He said even if they stay there will be BIG changes! Let's keep our fingers crossed for them. Hate to see them lose their jobs. Good Luck.

wow....lets hope it workes out....please keep us posted EWFAC-1075