Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Williamson County EMS 2011 Edition Ambulances

19 posts in this topic

Williamson County, TX (my home county) has taken delivery of 6 new Ford F-450 Super Duty/Wheeled Coach ambulances, with more on the way. These are the first ambulances's to feature Wheeled Coach's "Cool Bar", which intergrates emergency lighting with the front mount A/C unit. They also have air-ride suspensions.

They are remounted onto a new chasis at around 40-60k miles. After another 50k, they are replaced and put into the spare pool for about 2 years, most often less. The oldest frontline ambulance is a 2008.

post-11-0-63943700-1298423146.jpg

post-11-0-10635100-1298424138.jpg

Task Force 7, spc0806 and PEMO3 like this

Interesting, such a short lifespan on a chassis and a box. Did you happen to catch the price on the new units?

Interesting, such a short lifespan on a chassis and a box. Did you happen to catch the price on the new units?

They buy through a statewide purchasing cooperative. I'm not sure about the price, but I want to say it's probaly around $100,000. The box is completly custom built for their agency, and is not your typical Wheeled Coach.

They run a lot, sometimes on very rough roads in rural areas, so it's very important to them that the ambulances are very reliable. The ambulances they do trade in after service as a backup unit have a higher resale value, and they offset the cost of buying the new ones.

Also, most stations have a back up ambulance (I previously reffered to them as "spares"). This way, if a crew comes on duty and the primary ambulance is out, they can get to work right away while the other crew is out. Some of the older ambulances are also kept for the supply unit, etc.

How much more effective is the 'cool bar' for warning, over some of the units that i have seen with these lights flush mounted on box?

Just wondering if this design may make sense on units without the a/c issue as well.

Those look really sharp!

Williamson County EMS is a dual-paramedic system and provides 911 services to the entire 1,100 square miles of the county including all incorporated cities within. Williamson County EMS currently operates 15 front line ambulances, and 8 in their reserve fleet. Their ambulances are stationed out of EMS stand-alone stations or area Fire Department’s stations. EMS calls per year are averaging just under 30,000, with a slight increase each year. Their crews work a 24hour on, 48hr off rotating schedule of A, B, & C shifts.Williamson County Ambulances are staffed with two paramedics who have undergone extensive training and continuing education to ensure the care provided to their patients is not only competent but outstanding.

Sharp looking.

What is the floor height of the patient compartment from the ground?

How much more effective is the 'cool bar' for warning, over some of the units that i have seen with these lights flush mounted on box?

Just wondering if this design may make sense on units without the a/c issue as well.

I was looking at that as well. It looks like the angled lights on the a/c unit provide 45 degree angle coverage. I could see this as being an advantage for entering intersections; the angled lights would hopefully alert traffic in that previously blind spot. It looks like it gives you almost 180 degrees of coverage up front.

To add to what TaskForce7 was saying, Williamson County EMS has a passing rate of 8% for the academic part of their entrance exam.

It gives you added angle and intersection coverage. I can't think of how to describe it.

Here's more of a close up of a prototype version I photographed at Firehouse Central Expo in Dallas this past September.

post-11-0-04506300-1298561624.jpg

Sharp looking.

I'm not sure, but the air ride lowers the back of the ambulance when loading. Also, I think these new ambulances are coming with Stryker's new hydraulic lift system for stretchers, which really require no lifting or loading of the stretcher into the ambulance whatsoever.

Sharp looking.

I'm not sure, but I got this photo. Hope it gives you a better idea. To note, the air ride suspension lowers the loading height when loading and unloading, and I believe they will be using the new Stryker stretcher lift for ambulances. Sorry for the crappy shot.

post-11-0-25383100-1298917932.jpg

Two paramedic service is pretty impressive. Do any other areas have that?

To add to what TaskForce7 was saying, Williamson County EMS has a passing rate of 8% for the academic part of their entrance exam.

It gives you added angle and intersection coverage. I can't think of how to describe it.

Here's more of a close up of a prototype version I photographed at Firehouse Central Expo in Dallas this past September.

post-11-0-04506300-1298561624.jpg

I saw these lights at the Baltimore show last year, they wobble for constant lighting. But they are not the ones used on the final unit pictured.

Personally I like these low profile flush mount systems as they draw less power, have less moving parts and give a much larger warning area front and rear as opposed to the traditional light bars. A lot of the newer LED lamp heads actually permit a split color scheme within the same lamp head. Definitely a sharp looking rig. My only observation is that the grill seems to allow only a small amount of air flow across the radiator but again, purely observation, not made based on any facts.

My only observation is that the grill seems to allow only a small amount of air flow across the radiator but again, purely observation, not made based on any facts.

There is a grill to exhaust heat on the drivers side of the module toward the rear

post-11-0-40116100-1298936444.jpg

City Of Austin has a dual-medic system. There are rumors that they may go Paramedic/EMT, but I highly doubt that. If anything, they would use EMT's for BLS calls.

San Antonio EMS runs dual paramedic. The City Of Houston runs some dual medic ambulances, some dual medic squads, Medic/EMT ambulances, and BLS ambulances. Dallas runs all ALS ambulances, staffed by firefighter/paramedics, along with ALS Engine companies.

A lot of other areas in the state run dual medic, and a lot of FD's operate ALS engine companies.

There are still parts of the state that have EMT's though, however they are becoming more extinct.

Up here in MA it is pretty much the standard. This is due in part to MA OEMS requiring that the crewmember with the highest level of training rides in back with the patient. While they have recently started allowing combination Paramedic/basic trucks, they are generally frowned upon because it requires the medic to tech every call while the basic always drives. Because of this, P/B trucks, as they are known, don't make a whole lot of sense (and were only recently even allowed by OEMS). Further, I've heard that most medics prefer working on dual medic trucks as it gives them a second pair of hands with ALS training.

A lot of the more progressive systems around the country, run dual-medic. Pittsburgh and Wake County (NC) come to mind.

OK maybe I am missing something here but how does a grill on the rear of the patient module cool the engine compartment? Not saying it is not possible just confused as to how you could do that and no increase the patient module temperature, shielded or not.

My guess is it has nothing to do with the engine. It's probably part of the dedicated A/C system for the box, or exhaust for an auxillary heating system, if it doesn't use a heat exchanger with engine coolant.

It is part of the A/C unit. It is a large radiator (coils) to help dissipate heat that the A/C system creates. The A/C sytem is completly independent from the chasis A/C