Police Officer Gary Stymiloski

Westchester County Parkway Police Department

End of Watch: Sunday, February 24, 1985

Tour of Duty: Not available

Badge Number: 157

Cause of Death: Traffic Stop

Date of Incident: Sunday, February 24, 1985

Weapon Used: Not available

Suspect Info: Alex Mengel who was shot and killed trying to escape from police custody while being transported back from Canada where he fled after killing PO Stymiloski and a civilian in an unrelated incident.

Police Officer Gary Stymiloski died from injuries sustained when he was shot during a traffic stop alongside the Saw Mill River Parkway in Yonkers NY. A lifetime resident of Yonkers, Officer Stymiloski was a graduate of Gorton High School. After a brief period in the private sector, Gary embarked upon a career in law enforcement. His first position was as a Police Officer with the Sloatsburg, New York Police Department. On September 27, 1982, Gary became one of the first Police Officers with the newly formed Westchester County Department of Public Safety Service. Gary's talents as an officer were recognized early. He was assigned to the narcotics squad of the Detective Unit and worked undercover assignments. His work was exemplified by winning the title of Police Officer of the Year 1984 by the Westchester County Police Pulaski Association. When Gary's assignment to the Detective Division concluded, he was assigned to the Patrol Division.

He will be missed by all who knew and loved him.

Wow 26 years ago....I remember this tragedy like it was yesterday. Thanks for reminding us all Helicopper.

I also remember this like it was yesterday as it happened very close to home. Never forget our fallen heroes. Thanks Chris.

I was just a kid but I remember it well. My dad was a Yonkers Motorcycle cop. When he passed away in 07 I found the front page story in his stuff. I passed it on to a WCPD officer and I think they have it in their HQ. Thanks for the post.