Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFPCogs

Strategy and tactics

33 posts in this topic

Many factors depend on whether your Dept. is set up for a "reverse lay", "forward lay" or both. Personally I would like to establish a water supply as fast as possible no matter what especially if the other units are 3 minutes away. Too me operating off the booster and waiting for the 2nd due engine to get u water is playing russian roulette. I'd have the mpo drop his tank prior to hookin up and charge a 2 1/2" line giving me the 500 gallons or more to hit the main body of fire. I would have also had one member stretch an 1 3/4" to the front door and told the mpo to charge it when hooked up to his hydrant. This line could then be used later on by other arriving members or by the same members if conditions warranted it. As far as the primary is concerned it all depends on interior conditions. It may only be possible to search just inside the doorway if flashover is imminent and that's usually only 5' max like the Chief above said. This is no place for an 1 3/4" line off the bat. You have alot of fire here which is most likely in the cockloft requiring more then 150-180 gpm if u ask me. This is where a smooth bore comes into play. Having a smooth bore on the line gives you better reach, penetrating power(blasting the overhead ceiling away extinguishing concealed fire in cockloft) and more importantly maneuverability to hit the fire in the garage whether done from the exterior or inside. A 2 1/2" line is alot more easy to operate at 50 psi nozzle pressure then with a fog nozzle requiring 100 psi. Preferably I'd stay outside why waist time looking for the interior garage door and what are u goin to do if it's locked? Did one member bring the irons in with him? What if the door is 25' in and then down to the left another 10-15 feet. Even if you do find it and get it open how much fire are u goin to extinguish from that point. Too many things that could go wrong by stretching inside if you ask me. Hit it from the exterior and hit the interior wall separating the garage from the living quarters from the side. I seriously doubt u will push it into the rest of the house. I'd also have the nozzleman sweep the soffits on the exterior and try and drive the stream into the cockloft area that way extinguishing some of the fire. When reinforcements arrive I'd have them take the 1 3/4" thru the front door if not done already by the original crew. Basically I'd probably handle this almost as if it were a taxpayer job seeing it's a one story residence. With regards to pulling ceilings where would most of you start to pull them, once inside the front door or go aways in and pull them from deep inside the structure working your way towards the front entrance? Personnally, I'd start right at the front door and work my way in. JMO

Edited by FirNaTine
antiquefirelt and wraftery like this

Something that was not mentioned all the way thru this thread is that when you do your 36o, there is more likely than not, an exterior door someplace around the back of that home. Conditions at this door could answer a lot of the incident action questions we have been talking about.

There have been a lot of good points and observations made here by some obviously knowledgeable individuals. A few of the posts have brought out some things I missed. A few I have a difference of opinion. Too tired to get into it right now but I will later. Didn't want you to think I made an "Irish exit" on this one...