Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpinerunner

Nassau County PD Friendly Fire LODD

12 posts in this topic

MASSAPEQUA PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- A police officer was fatally shot by another officer after a confrontation with a knife-wielding man inside a home in a New York City suburb, authorities said Sunday. The suspect also was killed.

MASSAPEQUA PARK, N.Y. (AP)

Monday March 14, 2011

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/New-York-cop-shot-dead-by-another-officer-1121714.php

Sadly it appears that an MTA police officer on scene didn't recognize the plainclothes officer entering the house carrying a rifle and shot him fatally. Details are still sketchy but that's one report as of this afternoon.RIP brother.

What a terrible week for all law enforcement

What a terrible year thus far for law enforcement.

Rest in Peace! My condolences to the Officers' family.

I can only imagine how terrible that MTA Officer feels. May the fallen Officer rest in peace and may the MTA Officer get the help I'm so sure he will need right now to get through this.

thoughts and prayers go out to all the families and friends of fallen police officers its been a horrible start for the year for law enforcement

Edited by FFEMT84

before i post this article, i just wanted to say my heart goes out to the downed officer, his family, his department and the officer who fired the shot. That said, here's the latest article appearently a retired cop with a scanner may have caused this sad incident to occur. it doesnt matter whether you're off duty, retired, just a buff, etc. If you're going to listen to a scanner, you really shouldn't chase calls. If you do chase a call for pictures or whatever, you need to be responsible and held accountable for your actions. Never get in the way and always stay by the sidelines. In this incident, nobody but the cops should have been there in the first place.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/li_police_slay_guy_meddler_Yi3NDp5N3hS7mXaHDErnkJ

joe

before i post this article, i just wanted to say my heart goes out to the downed officer, his family, his department and the officer who fired the shot. That said, here's the latest article appearently a retired cop with a scanner may have caused this sad incident to occur. it doesnt matter whether you're off duty, retired, just a buff, etc. If you're going to listen to a scanner, you really shouldn't chase calls. If you do chase a call for pictures or whatever, you need to be responsible and held accountable for your actions. Never get in the way and always stay by the sidelines. In this incident, nobody but the cops should have been there in the first place.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/li_police_slay_guy_meddler_Yi3NDp5N3hS7mXaHDErnkJ

joe

WOW ... if this is true, I wonder what if any action will be taken against the N.Y.P.D. Emergency Services Officer (retired) who allegedly 'buffed' the call and then interfered with the police officers who were handling a dangerous scene...

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased officer, may he rest in peace. What a terrible and possibly avoidable tragedy.

WOW ... if this is true, I wonder what if any action will be taken against the N.Y.P.D. Emergency Services Officer (retired) who allegedly 'buffed' the call and then interfered with the police officers who were handling a dangerous scene...

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased officer, may he rest in peace. What a terrible and possibly avoidable tragedy.

Anyone trained in police tactics knows there must (or at least should) be more to the story. No officers are trained to fire just because someone yells gun. While this retired guy might have some complicity, I'm eternally hopeful the MTA officer didn't fire solely on these grounds. I suspect there will be more details coming out.

Anyone trained in police tactics knows there must (or at least should) be more to the story. No officers are trained to fire just because someone yells gun. While this retired guy might have some complicity, I'm eternally hopeful the MTA officer didn't fire solely on these grounds. I suspect there will be more details coming out.

I agree ... I feel for all of the law enforcement folks who responded to the incident. This is a traumatic event that will never leave them. As far as what (if any) part the retired N.Y.P.D. sergeant played in the events that led to the officer being shot ... I certainly don't know. From the statement of the Nassau PBA president it sounds like this guy is a buff who follows the officers around with a scanner and sticks his nose where it doesn't belong. I assume that he hadn't been charged with interfering in the past as a 'professional courtesy'.

What a tragedy. And the year 2011 continues to make it's mark as a horrendous year for law enforcement personnel. I can't remember another time with so many police LODDs in such a short time frame (aside from 9/11).

Rest in Peace Officer Breitkopf. Prayers for Officer Gentile as well.

Edited by efdcapt115