Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mreis95

At This Time?

42 posts in this topic

I'll echo that, I remember in my Lake Carmel days, we were required to say, "Lake Carmel 17-2-1 to 40 Control" (tells you how long I've been out of there), 17-2-1 responding."

Still the same, only its Putnam 911, and if you do not call on the radio in this manner most dispatchers will ignore your transmission. Same for calling on scene. Drives me nuts

JetPhoto likes this

I tell my guys to ignore them too, unless it's obviously something important. You wait till you're acknowledged. That's another story for another time, my friend.

Jargon does have its place. For example "at this time." It conveys that "things may change. "

"Be advised" means "it's kind of important so stick it in your head with the other stuff you are thinking about"

"Doubtful will hold' HAS EVOLVED INTO A WHOLE NEW MEANING THAN THE ORIGINAL WORD. It does not infer that the OIC has doubts about controlling his fire. It gives a heads up to the dispatcher and surrounding companies that more resources may be needed and they should make the necessary preparations.

Sometimes FD jargon decreases air time because it shortens what would be a long explanation. "Collyer's mansion" is an example.

Many times outside the city, these phrases and phrases like them are used just because the guy listens to FDNY on his scanner and wants to sound cool...K.

JBE likes this

Military and aviation radios have always started the communications with the person BEING called to get their attention and then the unit calling. To this day on aviation radios this is proper etiquette.

The notion that a dispatch center will ignore a unit that calls 911 instead of <<county name>> 911 is absurd. If I'm chasing someone or rolling with a suspect, 911 may be all they get. If they ignore people someone is going to get hurt.

"K" was always used to signify the end of the transmission and is a holdover from old teletype days.

Many times outside the city, these phrases and phrases like them are used just because the guy listens to FDNY on his scanner and wants to sound cool...K.

That is my understanding about "K". It's only protocol in the FDNY, and other companies just want to sound cool. Furthermore it only needs to be said after a longer transmission, like a size up, or progress report, not when calling on scene or responding.

Simmilar to what helicopper was saying, some pilots use the term "wilco" or the pilot might click the mike twice quickly, after being told something by ATC, which is like someone saying "k" in the communication service.

Military and aviation radios have always started the communications with the person BEING called to get their attention and then the unit calling. To this day on aviation radios this is proper etiquette.

The notion that a dispatch center will ignore a unit that calls 911 instead of <<county name>> 911 is absurd. If I'm chasing someone or rolling with a suspect, 911 may be all they get. If they ignore people someone is going to get hurt.

"K" was always used to signify the end of the transmission and is a holdover from old teletype days.

Same protocol exists in PROPER marine radio comms.

How about one from the EMS side of things: "Possible code, possible DOA.." So which one is it?

And then the classic (I won't say which dispatch center) "Diabetic Coma Shock" :blink:

I have never heard the "K" used down here in Texas. There is/was a dispatcher for Dallas Fire Rescue that when a structure fire would be called in, he would say..."Let's Roll Now! or Let's Roll-em'" then say something like Bat. 2 take the box! As for radio phrases, I'm guilty of saying "be advised".

Here is how Arlington, Texas dispatches.

Tones go off. Engine 1, Engine 3, Engine 4, Quint 1, Bat. 1 respond channel 1B (boy)structure fire Box 123. Mapsco 80 R(robert) 123 Main St., 123 Main St. cross street Center St. time out 1300 hours!

Simmilar to what helicopper was saying, some pilots use the term "wilco" or the pilot might click the mike twice quickly, after being told something by ATC, which is like someone saying "k" in the communication service.

"Wilco" is the abbreviation for "will comply". When a pilot says "wilco" he's acknowledging a directive and stating that he (she) will comply with it. Two clicks of the microphone are often used to acknowledge something other than an ATC directive. Clicks don't cut it when ATC tells you to do something but if they say "have a nice day", two clicks says it back.

There's a lot more discipline on ATC frequencies than on public safety radio frequencies.

What I mean by ignoring, and I should have clarified, is when a unit just comes up and says, "Ladder XX to Manhattan, do you have any further information on this Box?? K". Without calling properly and being acknowledged. I am a little bit of a stickler when it comes to proper radio procedure On both sides of the radio. Under no circumstances would I allow something more important to be ignored. My guys breathe the wrong way, there's a phone call made from HQ.

That being said, I reiterate my earlier statement about ATT, and Be Advised.

Edited by JBE

"Wilco" is the abbreviation for "will comply". When a pilot says "wilco" he's acknowledging a directive and stating that he (she) will comply with it. Two clicks of the microphone are often used to acknowledge something other than an ATC directive. Clicks don't cut it when ATC tells you to do something but if they say "have a nice day", two clicks says it back.

There's a lot more discipline on ATC frequencies than on public safety radio frequencies.

yea, I know. I have never used the term "wilco", and don't plan to. I perfer to read everything back, which is what most pilots should do.