Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Bronto to Switch back to Pierce from E-One

10 posts in this topic

From a press release:

Bronto to Switch back to Pierce from E-One

Federal Signal Corporation (NYSE: FSS), a leader in environmental, safety and transportation solutions, announced today that its Bronto Skylift Oy Ab (“Bronto”) subsidiary has entered into exclusive supply and distribution agreements with Pierce Manufacturing Inc. (“Pierce”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK). Under the terms of the agreements, Bronto will become Pierce’s sole source of articulated aerial platform booms for firefighting applications in the North American market, and those devices will be distributed exclusively through Pierce’s network of independent dealers.

“We are pleased to establish this important relationship with the leading North American manufacturer of custom fire apparatus,” said Dennis J. Martin, Federal Signal’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “Bronto’s articulated hydraulic platforms are recognized around the world as best in class. When coupled with the build quality and innovation that Pierce is renowned for, we believe that North American fire departments will now have an opportunity to obtain the most capable high-access firefighting vehicles ever made.”

“This new relationship with Pierce marks an important milestone in the growth of Bronto in North America,” said Esa Peltola, Bronto’s Managing Director. “We feel that each company will benefit from the other’s reputation for high quality and innovation. But fire departments and those they protect, first and foremost, will be the biggest beneficiaries.”

Bronto parts and service for firefighting applications will also be made available exclusively through Pierce’s independent dealer network. New Bronto lift devices for wind power and electric transmission line maintenance and other commercial applications, as well as related parts and service, are unaffected by the new agreements with Pierce. These will continue to be made available through Bronto’s existing distribution channels.

I saw a picture of a bronto mounted on a pierce chassis with a triple rear axle. It looked good.

I saw a picture of a bronto mounted on a pierce chassis with a triple rear axle. It looked good.

I beleive that is one of the older Brontos prior to them going exclusive with E-One. If its the one I'm thinking of, it was a sharp looking rig and was set up for an industrial setting.

I beleive that is one of the older Brontos prior to them going exclusive with E-One. If its the one I'm thinking of, it was a sharp looking rig and was set up for an industrial setting.

South Padre Island, TX has a triple axle Pierce Bronto.

So who fixes the Bronto parts on the present E-One rigs?? I'm a tad confuzzled here.

Secondly, I know of a certain buff I met at the Silver City Fest last year who is probably a bit upset at this particular prospect.

Pretty whacky (not to be confused with not-useful!). Does the base section extend? What is the max extension of these aerials?

Pretty whacky (not to be confused with not-useful!). Does the base section extend? What is the max extension of these aerials?

Yes there are bed and fly sections that extend. Bronto is a european outfit that has produced this style aerial for years. Currently, their tallest product which is designed for rescue, not suppression, is capable of reaching 335ft.

Bronto Corporate Website

In all actuality they are not aerials they are articulating platforms. A straight stick by true definition is the only "aerial." Just like there is a difference between tower ladder and ladder tower.

I'm lucky to have a Bronto close by and have seen it in action. While not overly impressed by anything with it, in some aspects having the articulation is certain regards could be beneficial. It also seems fairly complicated in regard to its safety systems with set up and I've also gotten to see what happens when one of these safety switches disengages or engages and the entire operation shuts down.

Here's a picture of Verplanck FD's Tower Ladder 46, a 2002 E ONE Bronto F100 rescue platform. To my knowledge this is currently the only "articulating platform" in Westchester County.

tl46.jpg