Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pasobuff

Looking for info on Vol Fireman's Assoc NYC - 1890's...

7 posts in this topic

I received an old, old scrapbook from my father this past week, with a TON of old newspaper articles, invitations to events, documentation on the Volunteer Fireman's Association of New York CITY....the earliest date I have found so far is 1892 in the book.

Has anyone here ever heard of this Association - and I am wondering if it is what now is FASNY?......

The book itself is in the hands of the NYS Museum for the time being - when I get it back, I will be happy to share pictures of the contents.

One REALLY neat thing I found is the 'Programme' from the laying of the cornerstone of the Fireman's Home in Hudson - with a hand written note stating that H. Howard (among others) was in attendance.....

The book belonged to an R Cullen - who I believe was my fathers' uncle.....still looking for info on him too - he was President of the Assoc......

Thanks Ang,

To answer your question, the Volunteer Firemen's Assoc. was one of several organizations (Veteran Fireman’s, Exempt Fireman's etc.) made up of former members of the original (pre 1866) Fire Department of the City of New York (solely NY County at that time) who after the establishment of the Metropolitan Fire Department organized themselves into these groups to maintain their social and fraternal ties. This not only included dinners, outings, parades and the like, but also the good and welfare of their old time comrades. This originally bore fruit in the first firmens home located on Staten Island, which was exclusively for former members of NYC.

Eventually it was realized that a statewide home was preferable to one strictly for NYC and FASNY took on the responsibility of establishing and operating a home for indigent volunteer firemen from around the state. Harry Howard (Chief Engineer 1857-1860) aside from being the "Beau Ideal" of the mid-19th century fire service was also a lifelong advocate for the fire service in the State of New York. At the time of FASNY taking on the building of the home in Hudson, Harry Howard donated what for that time was a huge amount of money from his life savings for its construction. Everyone was so appreciative of his donation that to this day the home sits on Harry Howard Ave. in the City of Hudson.

shadow12083 likes this

Thanks Ang,

To answer your question, the Volunteer Firemen's Assoc. was one of several organizations (Veteran Fireman’s, Exempt Fireman's etc.) made up of former members of the original (pre 1866) Fire Department of the City of New York (solely NY County at that time) who after the establishment of the Metropolitan Fire Department organized themselves into these groups to maintain their social and fraternal ties. This not only included dinners, outings, parades and the like, but also the good and welfare of their old time comrades. This originally bore fruit in the first firmens home located on Staten Island, which was exclusively for former members of NYC.

Eventually it was realized that a statewide home was preferable to one strictly for NYC and FASNY took on the responsibility of establishing and operating a home for indigent volunteer firemen from around the state. Harry Howard (Chief Engineer 1857-1860) aside from being the "Beau Ideal" of the mid-19th century fire service was also a lifelong advocate for the fire service in the State of New York. At the time of FASNY taking on the building of the home in Hudson, Harry Howard donated what for that time was a huge amount of money from his life savings for its construction. Everyone was so appreciative of his donation that to this day the home sits on Harry Howard Ave. in the City of Hudson.

See I told ya !

Thanks Stench!.....this book is an awesome store of information of how things used to be with the organization....

Another neat article I found had to do with a parade in Herkimer, NY, which stated that 6000 (yes - Six THOUSAND) Firemen congregated to attend/march in a parade.....

There is also a very long article about a boxing match which went 76 rounds, I think.....

So Stench - does the name Richard Cullen ring any bells with you????

It might be nice if you contacted the FDNY museum. The last time I was there they had a few things from this assoc. I'm sure they would love to see your book!

It might be nice if you contacted the FDNY museum. The last time I was there they had a few things from this assoc. I'm sure they would love to see your book!

Just sent them an email - thanks for the tip!