Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Ossining Volunteer Ambulance

15 posts in this topic

On the day of the Ossining Wetdown, I happened to come acrosse one of their ambulances parked across the street. I don't know anything about the make/model/etc and I'm not sure where I could find out Ambulance specs.

post-20312-0-48254200-1304748002.jpg

On the day of the Ossining Wetdown, I happened to come acrosse one of their ambulances parked across the street. I don't know anything about the make/model/etc and I'm not sure where I could find out Ambulance specs.

Just remembering my early days with OVAC when I joined as part of the Explorer program and we started riding the rigs at age 17. Back then it was the two cadillacs and there was nothing, and I mean nothing like sitting shotgun with either Frank Vasallo, Sr. or Walt Cassisi driving down Croton Avenue to Hubbells Corner, against traffic with the Federal Q pinned.

I never got to drive the OVAC caddies, but I did the BMFD caddy. Those were rides.

Edited by SECTMB

Just remembering my early days with OVAC when I joined as part of the Explorer program and we started riding the rigs at age 17. Back then it was the two cadillacs and there was nothing, and I mean nothing like sitting shotgun with either Frank Vasallo, Sr. or Walt Cassisi driving down Croton Avenue to Hubbells Corner, against traffic with the Federal Q pinned.

I never got to drive the OVAC caddies, but I did the BMFD caddy. Those were rides.

Frank Vassalo...Wow, havent heard that name in forever. Had the gas station out towards 133 on Croton Ave, right?

this is the newest of the fleet, 2008 pl custom...the 74-81 is correct, it can be used for bls or als...the 8 is for the year

Edited by Stealthmedic1

Frank Vassalo...Wow, havent heard that name in forever. Had the gas station out towards 133 on Croton Ave, right?

Yes, had the service station on Croton Ave. Was a very important responder for OVAC and Frank Jr. was also a very active member. But, yes, that was a lot of years ago. I recently got the invite to my 40th OHS reunion. It was a long time ago I would leave school and walk up to Clinton Avenue to pull duty. Lots of calls, lots of memories, lots of good people.

The correct lettering is 74-B1. OVAC now has 74-A1 and A2 and B1. The A's are ALS busses and are staffed 24-7 with PAID crews of 2. EMT and Medic on A1 and B1 is the BLS bus is EMT x2. We also run a 24-7 ALS paramedic flycar that is contracted out to Croton and Briarcliff EMS and responds to all calls in those districts and mutual aid to Ossining as a medic as needed. We also house a Paramedic Supervisor who oversees the Operation as well as a Captain and two Lt.s none of whom are paid who keep the volunteers going. In former years OVAC was ALL Volunteer but now due to the economy has lost so many volunteers that it is impossible to staff an all volunteer Corps. Call volumes are pushing 3000 calls per year. It's not the OVAC many of you were associated with....but its still great!

The correct lettering is 74-B1. OVAC now has 74-A1 and A2 and B1. The A's are ALS busses and are staffed 24-7 with PAID crews of 2. EMT and Medic on A1 and B1 is the BLS bus is EMT x2. We also run a 24-7 ALS paramedic flycar that is contracted out to Croton and Briarcliff EMS and responds to all calls in those districts and mutual aid to Ossining as a medic as needed. We also house a Paramedic Supervisor who oversees the Operation as well as a Captain and two Lt.s none of whom are paid who keep the volunteers going. In former years OVAC was ALL Volunteer but now due to the economy has lost so many volunteers that it is impossible to staff an all volunteer Corps. Call volumes are pushing 3000 calls per year. It's not the OVAC many of you were associated with....but its still great!

the lettering is 7481, not 74B1!

Edited by Stealthmedic1

the lettering is 7481, not 74B1!

Ok stealth don't have a baby.........

Unless I am seriously blind the lettering on the two OVAC rigs say 74 A1 and 74 A2 despite what stealth medic said.

The ALS vehicles say 74 A1 and 74 A2 but the original photo in this thread does say 7481.

I'm also not sure why they have the strip of orange tape covering the "Advanced" part in the Advanced Life Support lettering on 74 A2